Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
scottokla

Yes!

scottokla
11 years ago

Looking really good. I think at least .3 to .5 if it holds together.

Comments (23)

• scottokla
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Unbelievable. All that rain coming through for 2 hours and almost nothing at home or the farm. The area in between is pushing two inches so far.

Now the good news: the path it has followed for the last two hours is starting to shift south and we may finally get lucky in a bit. Still an outside chance for more than .5

• scottokla
    Original Author
    11 years ago

A big area around here got 1 inch plus overnight, some near 2 inches. We were not so lucky but we got over .5 and we have one more chance late today. I hope you all got some and the central part gets some tonight.

• Macmex
    11 years ago

So far, we haven't received any, though it is cloudy.

George
    Tahlequah, OK

• OklaMoni
    11 years ago

totally missed us! the sun is up, cloudy, but radar doesn't look promising at all.

:(

Moni

• ezzirah011
    11 years ago

It is looking like it wants to, but we are not getting any.

Here's to hoping!!

• scottokla
    Original Author
    11 years ago

1.1 inches at the farm. Only a few tenths here at home, but I'm OK with that.

The central part of the state that has had nothing for so long is going to have a good day today! The radar looks very pretty!

That is the first time since March 20 that we have had a rain of an inch or more.

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    11 years ago

Hooray for the rain!

I hope everyone gets some rain today and/or tonight.

The radar looks great right now for NW OK through central OK through SE OK. Unfortunately, the forecast includes the possibility of high wind and hail too.

Dawn

Here is a link that might be useful: NWS Webpage With Radar

• biradarcm
    11 years ago

Its raining here in Norman, so for .35in, expecting another batch by noon... Cheers -Chandra

• scottokla
    Original Author
    11 years ago

It seems to have started moving a little more eastward than before, good for me but not for the OKC area that needs the rain just as much. Still a few hour left though.

• ezzirah011
    11 years ago

I got rain!!!! It came down in buckets here for a short while. I am hoping the seeds I planted just before didn't get washed away, but I don't care, we got some...I will take it all at this point!

• OklaMoni
    11 years ago

I got rain. Not sure how much... as the rain gauge wasn't really sitting in the "right spot". But, we did get rain.. while I wasn't home, but out on a bike ride. :)

Moni

• miraje
    11 years ago

We're up to 1.20" for the day. It's wonderful!

• Lisa_H OK
    11 years ago

I got 1 1/2 inches of rain!!!

Lisa

• GeneTheNewGuy
    11 years ago

I am pickled tink! I got just a little over an inch. Wahoooooooo !

• MiaOKC
    11 years ago

1.3 inches here in NW OKC! The first .3 came in a 30 minute burst, and the other inch was while I was running errands - hope it was a slow soaker.

• slowpoke_gardener
    11 years ago

I am so glad Y'all got rain. I have received .4" in the past 24 hours, but I was not needing it as badly as most of you. May you get a lot more.

Larry

• scottokla
    Original Author
    11 years ago

It was a good day for most of us!

We ended up almost exactly at 1.5 inches. We never got any of the really heavy stuff, but over the course of 6 hours the total finally got up there. It was just enough and just in time. It looks like about 20 acres of our place is now mostly dead or defoliated trees, but it is not any of the area we have worked to take care of and make productive. It is just the large area where the trees were younger, overcrowded, and the soil not as deep.

I had said we had to have at least 1.5 inches and it had to be this week. That seems a little eery now. I am a bit shocked it actually happened. I think it ended up being exactly 150 days from our last rain of an inch to this rain of at least an inch. I never would have believed it could happen, or that these pecan trees could have made it. (still not totally out of the woods yet though)

• mulberryknob
    11 years ago

So glad to hear it Scott. Sure hope you get even more soon. It hasn't been that bad for us. We got 5 inches in June, most of it falling the first week, 2/10ths in July and so far 4/10ths in Aug. We were in Tahlequah this morn and it rained as we came out of church and by the looks of the ditches had been for a while, but by the time we got home, it had mostly stopped. There was less than a tenth in our gauge. That is the way it has been for us for the last two months. We're in the hole this year for sure. But we don't have as much at stake either. There are cattle farmers all around us though that certainly would like to see rain on their pastures.

• shankins123
    11 years ago

So thankful for every bit of rain that fell...I received just about 1.4 inches, which means I'll probably have to mow my lawn here in a few days but I'm NOT complaining!!

I caught quite a bit of water in a 50gal drum and I've already sprinkled my little beads on the water to thwart any mosquitoes that might want to lay eggs there.

A good day...Sharon

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    11 years ago

Scott,

That is a little bit eerie, but the important thing is that it happened!

Most of our rain did not fall on Saturday, but rather over the course of 3 or 4 days, and it only added up to 1.45", but it did fall slow enough that I know it was absorbed well. When rain falls during a drought, I'd rather have the slow soaking rains instead of heavy ones that have a lot of run-off, like we had in April 2009.

Our trees continue even now to show the aftereffects of last year's exceptional drought here in our area....I see big gaps in the overgrown and very dense woodland where light shines down now into the deep dark woods after the loss of really huge, tall trees here and there. We'll be busy doing a lot of clean-up in the winter once it is cold enough that snakes aren't an issue. I expect we've seen the worst of the damage by now and this year's drought shouldn't add to it very much because we've had just enough rain every couple of months to keep the trees from showing too much drought stress.

I think the worst is over for this year, and hope we keep getting moisture every couple of weeks at the very least so that we will see improvement in the drought conditions instead of a continual worsening of them.

Sharon, I think we'll have to mow this afternoon and it likely will be hot and steamy out there, but it still will feel good compared to the weather from just a week or two ago.

I don't know if you've been following all the WNV spraying news from Dallas and Fort Worth but the two or three days of rain there (with some flash flooding) has really messed up their plans, especially for aerial spraying. I hope they're able to accomplish their goals now despite the rain because the number of cases there is just incredible.

I love my little mosquito dunks and mosquito bits and stocked up on them even before we knew it would be a bad year for WNV because I am a mosquito magnet. So far, they're doing the job well here.

Dawn

• Macmex
    11 years ago

My rain gauge was down. But it does seem that we received a little under a half inch yesterday. It rained enough to make me come in and "get out of the rain," for much of the afternoon. For the first time this summer, I used muck boots at chore time!

George

• chickencoupe
    11 years ago

So glad for all. I started complaining of mud being tracked indoors when I suddenly yanked myself from it. Mud is good. Very good.

I hope everyone gets much more soon.

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    11 years ago

George, I think my muck boots now are covered in a layer of dust, but I did wear them as recently as early June after we had a really good rainfall.

Bon, Mud is better than dust and dirt, but only a little. I won't complain about the mud being tracked in either, but it makes me think that one way to make it rain at my house is to mop the laundry room and kitchen floors because they get all the mud from the dogs' feet as they come in from the fenced dog yard. Every time I'm mopped the kitchen and laundry room floor, it has caused more rain to fall....on 3 separate days in the last week. I guess I should have been mopping the floor daily all summer just to bring more rain.

Our dogs have become such soft, wimpy indoor dogs after spending the hot summer days mostly inside that they aren't used to getting their paws wet or muddy, and will sit on the side porch forever before they go out into the yard because they seemingly don't want to get their paws wet or muddy. Plus, they're used to the air conditioning, so now they think 80 degrees is too hot for them. Tim says they've forgotten how to be dogs.

Dawn