Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
seeker1122

what to do now

seeker1122
9 years ago

Grasshoppers killed my garden what can I plant this week? Is Tempo safe as people tell me for the lawn and pets and plants?
Thanks all
Tree

/

Comments (8)

• Macmex
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Tree, I'm so sorry to hear about this! My heart goes out to you! I HATE GRASSHOPPERS! Don't know about Tempo. Maybe someone else can supply that info.

I would think that you could plant bush beans and I know, that precisely now, is when people around me plant their fall turnips.

George
    Tahlequah, OK

• slowpoke_gardener
    9 years ago

Regardless of what you plant you may want some kind of protection plan. My grasshopper population seems to be growing. I am kicking around the idea of planting under screen wire and then a cover of frost blanket later.

Larry

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    9 years ago

Tree, I am sorry the grasshoppers have destroyed your garden. I have fought huge numbers of grasshoppers in my garden ever since April. I have fought them harder than I've ever fought any garden pest ever in my entire life and they continue to drive me up the wall. The only crop they have totally destroyed in my garden was green beans. I'm getting ready to plant bush beans for fall and will plant them under floating row cover. If you don't have floating row cover, you can buy tulle netting at a fabric store or at some craft stores. Because tulle netting is more easily torn than floating row cover, it will last longer without tearing if you suspend it over hoops placed over your plants. You can use a heavy gauge of wire, PVC pipe or EMT conduit for the hoops.

I am not sure how to answer your product about Tempo, so suggest you read the product label----every single word of it----before you purchase and use the product. Temp is not labeled for use on edible plants like fruit and vegetable plants, so it isn't a product I'd choose if I was going to spray edible plants. If you want to use it for other uses, the label will give a lot of detail about where it can be used. It is labeled for use on turf grass, ornamental plants and for some structural uses---like treating a building for wood-eating pests like termites, for example.

A couple of weeks ago, I did something I've never done a single time before in my life (and I am 55 years old). I purchased a synthetic, broad-spectrum pesticide and sprayed most (not the flowering plants if I could avoid them and not the plants like fennel, parsley and dill that I grow for the swallowtails) of the plants in my veggie garden. I did it to kill the grasshoppers which were stripped all the plants, including the tomato plants, of all their leaves. I was very careful not to spray too heavily, and I sprayed well after sunset when the bees were not active. Despite that, I have found a lot of dead bees in the days since I used it and I know that I killed a lot of beneficial insects because after I sprayed the pesticide, I had a huge outbreak of aphids, which are almost never an issue in my garden. I am sure I probably inadvertently killed lady bugs and other beneficials that normally keep the aphids under control. The insecticide I used was Bayer-Bug-B-Gone, and I'll link its label below. It is a synthetic form of a pyrethrin and it did kill most of the grasshoppers that were in my garden, which was mostly grasshopper free for only about a week after I spray it. Then new hordes of the grasshoppers flew in from surrounding pastures and my garden was instantly full of them again. I am not willing to spray a synthetic pesticide in my garden again---I don't know if I ever will use one again for any purpose. I feel like it harmed the beneficial insects as much as or more than it harmed the grasshoppers. I simply was at a point where I had to do something or there wouldn't be a garden left. Maybe it would have been better if I just let the grasshoppers kill the garden---at least the beneficial insects still would be around. The beneficial insect population is starting to rebuild, but I totally hate, hate, hate that I used an insecticide that I knew would harm them. So, think long and hard before you choose to use a synthetic pesticide. I know lots of people use them all the time, but I don't and I pretty much wish I hadn't used it this time. I didn't spray it in the back garden, which only has cucumbers, winter squash, summer squash, several varieties of southern peas, some fruit trees, and two varieties of Armenian cucumbers growing in it, as well as lots of flowering plants. I only used it in the front garden. You can see the difference---not an aphid in sight in the back garden, and tons of butterflies, bees and wasps back there pollinating everything all day long. In the front garden, the melons have a huge outbreak of aphids which has resulted in lots of honeydew (aphid excretions) on the plants which has led to black mold......exactly the sort of after-effect of using pesticides that makes me avoid them 99.9% of the time. There are some bees, butterflies and wasps in the front garden but maybe only 10% as many as in the back garden. I feel like it may take years for me to rebuild the population of beneficial insects in the front garden to the right level---but I knew when I sprayed that there would be unpleasant consequences....as there have been. I did carefully select Bug-B-Gone because I felt it was the safest of the products available that would kill grasshoppers and that could be used on edible plants.

Still, I was just at that point where either I sprayed for grasshoppers or I let them have the entire garden, and I wasn't ready for the harvest time to end. Because we have had good rainfall since I sprayed, the garden plants are rebounding nicely from all the hopper damage they had before I sprayed, although the watermelons and cantaloupes look awful because of the aphids and black mold. Everything else, at least, looks wonderful and there's tons of new plant growth. The hoppers present in the garden, though, are starting to do a lot of damage, so who knows what will happen over the next few weeks.

There's a lot of things you can replant now. I'm going to start a new thread with the fall garden guide linked in it so we'll be able to find it easily as this question comes up over the next few weeks. The label for the Bug-B-Gone product I used to kill the grasshoppers is linked below in case you want to read it. It did exactly what they said it would do---it killed pretty much all the insects in my garden.

As for grasshoppers in general, their population remains crazy here. A friend came to visit us on Sunday and she commented on the huge numbers of grasshoppers that flew up from the roadside area, including the bar ditches and fence lines, as she drove down the rural roads to our house. She lives in Ardmore (albeit, in the city) so isn't that far away from us geogrpahically and has been gardening with a family member this summer and said she hasn't seen those high levels in their city garden. Out here in the country, though, those hoppers are everywhere. Even worse, every time it rains and we have a couple of cooler days, tons of tiny new hoppers hatch out. I'll remember 2012 as the Year of the Tomato, 2013 as the Year of the Cucumber and 2014 as the Year of the Grasshopper (though we have had plenty of tomatoes and cucumbers too). I hate grasshoppers, and I used all the standard organic remedies earlier in the season. They worked, but Semaspore is only effective on the smaller instars in cooler temperatures, so once we are in the heat of the summer, it isn't effective. For a long time, song birds and our free-range chickens ate grasshoppers all day long, but eventually stopped eating them. I guess they were just tired of a constant diet of hoppers. I have noticed this in the past---that the birds will happily eat grasshoppers in spring and early summer, and then seem to stop eating them by mid-summer. This is not the worst grasshopper outbreak we have seen here, but it likely would rank as the second worst. The APHIS grasshopper forecast had our county in the 9-14 grasshopper per square yard category, and I'd say their forecast was right on the money.

Good luck with fighting the grasshoppers and with having a productive fall garden.

Dawn

Here is a link that might be useful: Otho Bug B Gone Label

• luvncannin
    9 years ago

I sympathize with y'all I have had quite a few more grasshoppers here than normal. I don't know what I would do in that situation. I have seen my FIL place completely stripped in a couple weeks from the grasshoppers, it is sure a sad site. And his fig trees, in 20 years we have never gotten one fig because they strip it bare. That is why I finally started my own. With the constant sprays around here they don't stand a chance of taking over I guess.
    All said I am still looking for an area where there isn't any overhead spraying.
    kim

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    9 years ago

I don't know, Kim, if you even can find a place where there isn't any overhead spraying.

I have an issue with herbicide drift most years. Usually it is earlier in the season and I rarely lose plants to it, though often they get set back tremendously. This year it has happened at least 4 times. The last time, I was working in the garden and saw what I believe was herbicide being applied too high in the air above the ground. I've never seen it applied the way it was applied that day. I went and got Tim, pointed to the scene where something was being sprayed on a pasture, and said "I'll have damaged plants from that....." Two days later, the tomato plants at the far southern edge of the garden were twisty and curly and exhibiting obvious signs of 2, 4-d damage. It makes me crazy. You cannot make anyone else apply herbicides properly if they choose to do it improperly. It is frustrating, and I feel like it really isn't worth starting a neighborhood feud by making a big issue of it, but I am really tired of it. I am considering wrapping my 8' tall garden fence with clear plastic next year to try to reduce how much herbicide drift reaches the plants.

I can pretty much take the "up" cycles of the grasshopper population in stride. For all the damage that they do, they still don't damage the plants nearly as much as some human beings in our neighborhood do every single year via the careless application of herbicides that then results in drift. I don't like all the hopper damage, but it goes with the territory. Usually by the time it is driving me stark raving mad (late July or early August), their population is peaking and then will decrease. They know I'm trying to kill them---when the hoppers see me coming, they scatter and hide.

• luvncannin
    9 years ago

We hide from the drift they hide from us. its kinda funny huh. Well I would never want to go back to the city that's for sure. I was born and raised city and always felt out of place. Here like my son said its like a step back in time. Love it hoppers drift and all
    . There is actually an area not too far away where they don't spray cuz none lives or farms there.
    kim

• seeker1122
    Original Author
    9 years ago

ok sorry when I posted this I was rejected and half my thread was cut.
    I get overhead spraying a few feet away tractor spraying across the street and my new neighbors are the ones using tempo on all the lawn they have no garden.

The hoppers did leave me toms and one cuke but they killed what the rabbits left.
    My awesome cat went missing 1 week before spring fling and rats, rabbits, mice , and moles took over.

The hoppers are killing my grandmas Iris plants one plot at a time I usually have lots of sunflowers for them to munch on but this year they came up where I hang my clothes so had to cut them down.
    Too bad the little buggers don't eat morning glorys I have plenty of them choking plants.

Thanks all
    Tree