Return to the Oklahoma Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
phlox and dalias

Posted by sammy OK/7A (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 29, 14 at 5:32

My roses are fine, but my phlox plants, and my two dalias seem to be finishing for the year. Should I expect these two plants to continue like the roses do, or do they usually stop blooming this time of year? Also my large salvia plants with the larger leaves do not look good.

I have tried to water well, but I also expect many of these plants to use the water that the roses have, and have not given them special care.

What plants do many of you use in the fall? This will be my first fall to care since this is my first year in retirement. (I have new spirea that are beautiful, but since they are new, I have watered them almost daily.

Sammy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: phlox and dalias

• Posted by dbarron Z6/7 (Oklahoma) (My Page) on
    Fri, Aug 29, 14 at 7:37

Dahlias (haven't grown for years), typically peaked for me around frost time...as I recall. They did exceptionally well as things cooled down and got a bit wetter.
Phlox are pretty much done and toasted by now....esp with powdery mildew issues.

If you want fall flowers, plant asters, or annuals like cosmos bipinnatus (also tend to just get bigger and better till frost). Some perennials like rudbeckias, goldenrods, and salvias are the main power houses till frost, but perennials get tired and spent after a period of bloom, after all nothing lasts forever.

o
RE: phlox and dalias

Thanks, dbarron. I need to cut what I have, and see if they won't come back. I have not been good at pruning the dahlias, and some of the phlox plants were too small when I purchased them, and they never took off. I don't seem to be able to find many fall plants now in the discount stores. It looks like I will have to drive over to a nursery where I can find some fall plants.

Sammy

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Oklahoma Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here