Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chickencoupe1

Sesame Seed in Oklahoma

chickencoupe
10 years ago

The best Tahini paste comes from Ethiopia and requires stone grinding to avoid that awful bitter taste that I cannot cover up.

But the real problem:

Every turnabout the local variety of Tahini paste is on recall for Salmonella outbreak.

It really isn't that hard to make it oneself, but that would require me growing it here.

Does anyone have experience with it? Jeeb, I wonder how many plants I'd need. *sigh

Bonnie

Comments (6)

• soonergrandmom
    10 years ago

Chandra grew black sesame every year in his Norman garden.

• Lisa_H OK
    10 years ago

I can usually find sesame seeds for a reasonable price at the Asian markets. Would that be easier? Then you could grind your own.

• soonergrandmom
    10 years ago

I shop in a Mexican market and they also have good prices for sesame seeds.

• chickencoupe
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Grandmom,

Chandra is heavy on my mind. Jordan is the locale my taste buds were tainted. Oh the hummus he's eating daily!! I'm envious! Street vendors.. hummus is like cheap fast food! the streets of Jordan swell with aroma of roasted chick peas and pine nuts. OH.... but I digress...

Lisa, I thought about the growing Asian markets. Availability is enlarging (thank, goodness). Then, there is the internet. Shipping for imported food stuffs is not justified on my budget. In fact, I'll be buying my next paste from one in Stillwater or Tulsa.

These places don't have USDA standard practices in mind which helps eliminate outbreaks. (Nowadays I think the USDA is pretty lax or, at least, cannot keep up. Well, OK, it's NOT keeping up, apparently but reporting after the fact.)

There's a scary thought. Was I at risk all these years? I guess we're always at risk with manufactured goods.
    In the accompany of Jordanians, it was different. Culturally they keep up with "who's who and what's what" on an informal basis that parallels the effectiveness of government organizations! That's no longer my case, though I have relations with my daughter. She resides in Illinois in a Jordanian community, but she frequently travels missing my stock. I still depend on her for Jameed. Many take advantage of Jordanian travels for the sake of gold. Me? Food, baby.

But these are why I should grow it myself, mishandle it myself and give my self Salmonella, too. LOL

Bonnie

• mulberryknob
    10 years ago

Baker's Creek has sesame seed. I've raised it but didn't try to use the seeds. I ate a few in the garden and found them to have a bit of bitterness. I buy hulled sesame seed from health food stores and make my own tahini in a small processer--holds only a quart and I make about a pint at time

• chickencoupe
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Bitter? Perhaps that was why this Krinos brand was bitter-tasting.

I'm looking forward to growing it, for the experience. I love how my personal garden "plans" are moving in a direction instead of just "plant and wait" in order to learn how to grow (which is still necessary lol).

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio