Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
elkwc

Humidity

elkwc
10 years ago

Still no rain but very high humidity. At least for us. I know many of you are accustomed to it. I haven't been able to shake the tomato cages for several mornings due to them being too wet. This morning it is 91% as I sit here typing. Usually around 40% or lower at this time. They say upper 90's today and upper 70's tomorrow. What a roller coaster. The rains are close but no cigar. We have very good chances over the next two days. So hopefully we will receive some. I have kept on watering and not depending on it coming. Overall most things are still looking good. It could always be worse. Just thankful for the overall cooler summer than we've had the last few years. Jay

Comments (5)

• mulberryknob
    10 years ago

No rain this time for us either, but clouds and high humidity. I'm grateful for cooler temps this summer too. Our highest temp for this summer has only been 96, and there haven't been many days that hot. So better. And my "lawn" out front is so very green. It's mostly annual crabgrass; most of the perrenial grass died out last summer. We can't afford to water grass and garden and orchard.

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    10 years ago

Jay, Your humidity is worse than mine today! Our humidity was bad for the last 3 or 4 weeks, but since the rain mostly keeps missing us, it is a little less bad every day. This morning it was only in the 70s, but our dewpoints have been staying uncomfortably high. I hate the high humidity!

It has been a better year for rain, but the last few good rains have only hit portions of our county and have mostly missed us, so all the green is starting to dry out. The further south you go in Love County, the drier it is. I was at the northern edge of the county yesterday and it was amazingly green.

Dorothy, It sounds like yall are having a wonderful summer, especially when compared to the last two years.

June was nice here and a little bit of July was. At our house, it often has been 3 to 7 degrees higher than the high temp recorded at our local mesonet station. I told Tim we should have bought a place further north and west and closer to the mesonet station since their rainfall usually is higher than ours and their temperatures are lower. We have had far too many days with a high temp between 100 and 107, but....well, it is August, so I feel like we can endure a couple more weeks of this because autumn is almost here. Hooray!

We had a slim chance of rain for later in the week, and now the NWS has dropped it from our forecast. I wasn't really expecting it to rain anyhow.

Dawn

• okievegan
    10 years ago

Okay, why would one shake tomato cages? I ask because I plan to use them next year. I'm not too crazy about my tomato plants sprawled all over the place like drunkards.

• elkwc
    Original Author
    10 years ago

On windy days I usually don't shake them. But on still days if the temps or humidity aren't too high it helps with pollination of the bloom. I also shake the sprawlers. Many times we have enough wind the plants don't need any extra shaking.
    I just got home. A shower came through and left a half an inch of rain. Must of been a little hail and high winds from the damage I saw. Nothing severe but again I haven't looked at the whole garden yet. Jay

• elkwc
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The garden did suffer some cosmetic damage. The cukes took the worst beating. The wind damage was almost as bad as the hail damage. It blew some of my sprawlers upside down. I think they all should be fine in a few days. I saw a few fruit with large skinned and bruised areas. But mainly they look bad. Jay

Sponsored
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery
Average rating: 4.4 out of 5 stars233 Reviews
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery