Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sammy_gw

spirea and rosemary

Do any of you grow Blue Mist Spirea (Dark Knight) or Rosemary?

I am attempting to adjust my garden for my lifestyle. We have many rose beds, a hillside with roses and crape myrtles, and a blank area. Rather than to put in more rose beds or grow grass, I want more of an easy care area.

I already purchased the spirea, and thought I might have a mini oasis in that area, then large or paving rocks through the rest of the area.

What could I expect as a problem with the spirea or rosemary?

Sammy

Comments (5)

• dbarron
    9 years ago

I could never grow either one of them...probably due to overly moist winter/spring soil, when I lived in Oklahoma, so my advise is only...'I couldn't grow it'.
    I hope your experience is better.

• luvncannin
    9 years ago

I am successfully growing rosemary this year, in a pot. And mostly ignoring it. Partial shade and I lay the pot sideways after a rain to let excess water drain faster. I have killed so many I felt bad for it when I brought it home. I was sure its days were numbered. I think as long as it can stay mostly dry its happy
    kim

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    9 years ago

I grow Dark Knight successfully in a very dry couple of years and then lost it during a very wet winter. I was growing it in amended clay. My experience with Rosemary is pretty much the same. It does great until we have a very wet winter or spring and then it dies. I just don't have soil that drains well enough for it, even in raised beds. Neither one had any pest problems though, so they might grow just fine for you in your well-drained soil.

Like Kim, I have success with rosemary in a pot, particularly as long as I ignore it and don't water it until it shows signs of moisture stress. I add some sand to a standard soil-less mix when I put Rosemary in a pot since it likes a really well-drained growing medium. Rosemary is more prone to freeze when it is in a pot, so I either bring it indoors or put it in the greenhouse for the winter.

• luvncannin
    9 years ago

I was wondering if I could bring it in since I have grow lights going anyway. Good to know
    Thanks Dawn
    kim

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    9 years ago

Kim, You're welcome.

Dawn

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH