Return to the Oklahoma Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Squash Bug eggs/nymphs Found on Passion Vine

Posted by susanlynne48 OKC7a (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 16, 12 at 7:44

Is this unusual? I found them by chance because I have tons and tons of Passiflora incarnata. At first I thought perhaps they were Assassin Bug eggs/nymphs, but no, definitely Squash Bugs. The vine is across the sidewalk from the squash plants, so I thought it was truly odd. Has anyone else ever found them on non-cucurbit plants?

Susan

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Squash Bug eggs/nymphs Found on Passion Vine

I'd say to some extent it is unusual, but I don't think it is completely unheard of. I have heard of people having them attack various other plants, (sometimes vegetables, sometimes flowers) but haven't seen it myself. It makes sense though. If they are able to adapt and eat non-cucurbit plants, then they can expand their population even more. Since many insects are highly adaptable and evolve over time (for example, fire ants are becoming more cold-tolerant and moving farther north every year), I think it is likely squash bugs do adapt to eating non-cucurbit plantings.

Dawn

o

Some of my squash plants got close to my new blueberries.

When I saw a black, wilted cane tip I looked more closely and many, many eggs of the squash bug so it may depend on proximity of cucurbitae.

o

Thanks for the responses everyone. I'm absolutely NOT going to check the entire passion vine (it is massive) for SB eggs. In fact, the SBs could have quite a lot of it in exchange for leaving the squash plants alone, lol!

It's a miracle I even found the eggs to begin with, since I seem to have about an acre of it growing in a tiny front yard.

I agree with both of you, I had just never heard of it happening with SBs. Butterflies are certainly known to change their larval host plants when their preferred hosts are not available for whatever reason. Survival of the species.

Susan

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Oklahoma Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here