Return to the Oklahoma Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Drying corn on the cob for the squirrels

Posted by ellens_joy NE okla (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 2, 08 at 8:36

We have some sweet corn that got too mature to bother freezing. Can you dry sweet corn and if so can anyone tell me how to do it? Thanks Ellen

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Drying corn on the cob for the squirrels

If you are drying it for the squirrels, I'll let mine know and they can head your way.LOL. They have already cleaned our walnut tree out.

o

In the fields they just let the corn hang on the stalk till it is dry.

o

Some people let it dry on the stalks in the fields as Plantermunn said above. Others pull up the stalks by the roots and hang up the plants, upside down, in a dry location (like a garage or barn) to dry naturally. In the "olden days" you could buy a wire rack to hang ears on so they would dry. One rack held maybe 8 to 12 ears.

I've never dehydrated corn on the cob, but it probably could be done at a lower temperature, probably no higher than 140 degrees. If you dry it at a higher temperature, the kernels would dry very quickly, but the inner part of the cob probably wouldn't and the moisture the cob retained could make the corn cobs rot from the inside out.

If you don't have a food dehydrator or convection oven, you probably could put the ears on a cookie sheet and dry them in the oven at the lowest speed possible--which would be significantly lower than the lowest temperature that shows on most oven temperature knobs. On my previous stove, the oven would heat up to 200 degrees if I set it at "warm", so I'd turn the dial down a bit lower than that to get the oven to about 140-160.

And, you might want to ask this question at the Harvest Forum here at Garden Web. There are some people on that forum who do a lot of food dehydration.

Good Luck,

Dawn

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Oklahoma Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here