Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
scottokla

It appears most of us will get good rains this weekend

scottokla
11 years ago

From looking at all the predictions and reading the blogs, I think most of us will get over an inch this weekend. Some will likely get much more, but I think all of us in this part of the state will at least get some. I can't think of a time since March that a widespread, large rain has happened for us.

I hope nothing changes between now and then. All the stations have upped their chances again.

Comments (13)

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    11 years ago

I hope so. Our local TV stations are only going with a 20-30% chance, but of course they cover a huge area over southern OK and western North TX so they say some areas will get more, some less. Any rain is good.

While rain is always on the "Most Wanted" list around here, I am enjoying the cooler temperatures, the fog and the dew almost as much as the potential for rain. Our low temp this morning (56 at the Burneyville mesonet station, 59 here) was our lowest temperature since late May, and it felt heavenly this morning when I went outside to feed the animals. There's something about fog in the morning that just says "autumn" to me.

While the recent rain was nice, we all need a whole lot more, and Dorothy's and Carol's areas need it most of all.

Weatherwise, I'm also watching Isaac and hoping he is kind to whichever areas he affects. The "I" storms have been so powerful in many years of the last decade or so that they merit extra watching and attention.

• mjandkids
    11 years ago

Praying we get the rain here in Rogers County. We had a grass fire out here about a week ago and our fire danger today is awful. The .2 inches we've received this last month is no-where near enough to help with anything.

Hoping everyone gets a good shower or two. We all need it so badly.

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    11 years ago

I hope y'all get some more rain. That isn't nearly enough to do anything.

It is going to take a lot of rain to drop the fire danger back down to reasonable levels---inches and inches of rain.

• biradarcm
    11 years ago

All forecasts saying it will rain this weekend!!! We are ready to take all it give us. -Chandra

• mjandkids
    11 years ago

Yes Dawn, according to the maps we need 12-15 inches of rain. Right now I'd be thrilled with anything though.

• Lisa_H OK
    11 years ago

Rain fall predictions for this weekend...

Here is a link that might be useful: Rain Fall Predictions

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    11 years ago

I cannot complain. We have had steady rain all summer. Not lots of it, but even a quarter-inch or half-inch 2 or 3 times a month helps a great deal. Still, the long-term Palmer Drought Severity Index shows we need 9-12 inches for drought recovery, so it isn't that we are wet here....we just aren't quite as dry as y'all are.

I think the rains that most of you will get in the next few days are likely to mostly miss our area or just barely drop any rain at all here, but that's okay. Y'all need it a lot more than we do so I am thrilled so many of you seem likely to get some good rain. I'd love to see everyone get 2 or 3", but even an inch would make a huge difference.

I'm going to link the latest version of the HPC's QPF which will show the estimated forecast rainfall amount for the next 5 days combined.

Dawn

Here is a link that might be useful:

• biradarcm
    11 years ago

I saw that map this morning in ticker, thought to link that beautiful map here after the class... too late, already Lisa and Dawn linked it here! 2-3" is lot for us! I am planning to sow some seeds for fall garden this weekend. -Chandra

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    11 years ago

Chandra, All rain is good and hopefully we'll have lots of maps showing "actual rainfall" to link in the next few days, and I hope they show lots of rainfall over a large area.

I am really hopeful that the areas that didn't get significant rain last week or the week before will get it this time.

Those of you who have just sowed seed this week, watch your garden carefully. A large amount of runoff could carry away seeds that haven't sprouted yet.

Dawn

• soonergrandmom
    11 years ago

OK Scott, where's my rain? I have been watching the map for 24 hours and telling DH that I wondered if the clouds were going to mysteriously appear because I just wasn't seeing much out there that looked promising.

It looks like this first storm put 2/100 where they said would be 4 inches by Monday. It does look pretty good for Kansas and Missouri though. I'll be lucky if it doesn't break up before it gets this far east.

I did benefit from it though because we rushed to get some garden clean-up done. Things that should have been done back when it was 110, and I was inside under the air.

• biradarcm
    11 years ago

I am looking at radar at each and every opportunity I get... rain clouds seems to passing away from the Norman area, not a single drop so far...

• scottokla
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Let's hope we all wake up to the sound of raindrops on the roof during the night! It's looking promising. I'd be happy with anything between 1 and 3 inches. Two inches would be perfect.

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    11 years ago

I'm not even watching the radar because I think it will be "passover" at our house. If we get anything, I'll be happy, but I am not expecting anything. After looking at the 5-day QPF this morning, I shrugged and said "not us, then" and went on about my day.

Some of y'all will get rainfall, but we won't get much here. We do have lots of clouds though, and that has cooled us off from 94 to 92 degrees in the last hour.

I am thinking that the rain is stalling or has slowed down a lot because the amounts shown on the mesonet are not very impressive so far. Often, though, we are so far south that the rain hits us a day or two later after all of y'all get it, so maybe we'll just get late rain here instead of no rain at all.

I wouldn't get all discouraged and give up on the rain that is supposed to fall. For us, the big day when we might get it has been Saturday all along, so I think we can expect rain on Sunday if it falls here at all. After all, y'all, it is only Friday afternoon and you still have tonight and the whole weekend ahead of you with prospects for rain for most areas for some portion of the weekend.

If y'all didn't wash your cars or make plans to paint the house, then don't blame anyone but yourselves if the rain fails to materialize. lol

Dawn

Here is a link that might be useful: Map: Rainfall Since Midnight

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?