Return to the Oklahoma Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
OK State Fall Garden Planting Guide

Posted by okiedawn Z7 OK (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 5, 14 at 8:54

I've linked the OSU Fall Garden Planting Guide below for the use of everyone who is planting an edible garden for fall harvest. It has the recommended planting dates for most of the crops that we grow for a fall/winter harvest here.

Dawn

Here is a link that might be useful: OSU Fact Sheet: Fall Gardening

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: OK State Fall Garden Planting Guide

Thank you!

o

Thank-you, Dawn!! That really helped me out!!

Connie

o

They say about seed use, to store seed in the freezer. Is that the best place ?

I still have tomatoe seed that I got from Johnny's Select, should I have that in the freezer ?

o

Y'all are welcome. It is about that time of the year so I wanted to remind everyone of the OSU-recommended planting dates.

Yes, the freezer is the best place to store seed long-term. It will last for many years when properly stored in an airtight container. Just remember that when you take the container of seeds out of the refrigerator, you should let it sit unopened on a flat surface at room temperature until it warms up to room temperature. Doing that helps ensure condensation will not form on the seeds which then can ruin them or at least greatly reduce their germination rate when you plant them. The long-term seed storage vaults used by various organizations to store seeds away "forever" in case some disaster kills everything all use very sophisticated cold storage to maintain the viability of the seeds in their vaults.

o

I am so glad to be learning something new, that is why I enjoy this site.
So if I have a lot seed in glass jars would I just put them in frig or freezer or cool storage?
And is a glass jar ok for this type of storage?
I get a lot of glass jars and the seeds look so nice and I don't have to worry about mice getting into my seeds so that is why my saved seeds are stored this way. I will change for sure if its not the best way. thank you all
kim

o

Thanks for that, Dawn. Really. The REMINDER of how far behind I am ............. :D

I've decided I abhor trying to start seeds at this time of year and it's cool this year.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Oklahoma Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here