Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
okiedawn1

Seasonal Drought Outlook for Aug-Oct. 2011

Okiedawn OK Zone 7
12 years ago

If anyone here is wondering whether to plant veggies, herbs or flowers for fall, maybe the latest U. S. Seasonal Drought Outlook linked below will provide you with more data to consider before making your decision.

Unfortunately, it doesn't look good for most of us, but Jay's area, if this map is correct, can expect some continued improvement.

Here is a link that might be useful: Seasonal Drought Outlook

Comments (7)

• redding
    12 years ago

Clear through October??!!! Oh, boy. My daughter just picked up tickets for the rodeo at State Fair, and we were talking about how it always rains for the fair. I had my heart set on it doing that. Except, maybe not this year, huh?

Pat

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Well, drought doesn't mean 'no rain', just less rain, I think.

I always look forward to State Fair weather because it is usually so pretty then. Cooler and clear blue skies. Pleasant temps.

Of course, this year the State Fair weather may not be what we're used to, I suppose.

• jcatblum
    12 years ago

News tonight said drougt is going to continue to 2012. If it is correct I am nervous for our well water & everyone else drinking water.

• merrybookwyrm
    12 years ago

Think it was noaa that just announced there is a fair chance of -another- La Nina developing this fall, after the last one just dissipated around May. Shades of the 1950s. Gah!

• tracydr
    12 years ago

I remember in 1998, feeling like I was going to have a heat stroke at the OKC State Fair. I couldn't believe it hadn't cooled down yet, since, as you say, state fair weather is usually so nice and often rainy.

• MiaOKC
    12 years ago

It was either the 1997 or 1998 state fair where I nearly fainted (swooned?) waiting for the monorail. My brother dragged me on, opened the window and let the breeze revive me enough to drive us home. We'd just moved here from AZ, and it was hotter here than there.

• greenacreslady
    12 years ago

I'm linking another article on the expectations that the drought will continue. There is a mention in it of the 1950's drought and how it literally changed the demographics in Texas because so many people left the parched farmland and moved to the cities.

Suzie

Here is a link that might be useful: Forecasters: Drought may persist for another year