Return to the Oklahoma Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
purple queen/purple heart/wandering jew TOXICITY?

Posted by appledeco (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 14, 09 at 9:51

I'm wondering if anyone knows for sure whether the purple queen plant is toxic to animals. I have heard different things.

I already have this plant in my courtyard, but am going to rent to someone with a small dog that chews on everything. I'll dig up this plant and take it with me if I have to, but I'd rather leave it, if it's safe.

Sorry if this is slightly OT, I couldn't figure out which board to post on.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: purple queen/purple heart/wandering jew TOXICITY?

Apple,

I don't know if there is any way to absolutely know "for sure" since horticulturalists generally don't sit and force feed plants to dogs or cats or other animals to discover if those plants are toxic to them or not. Any research done in that area (if any is even done) would most likely be done by agricultural teaching institutions.

I didn't find purple queen/purple heart/wandering jew on the ASPCA or Humane Society lists, but like other lists of plants toxic to pets, these lists are not considered "all-inclusive" and are based partly on anecdotal reports.

You might try asking your local vet, but they likely won't know either unless they've had an animal specifically eat that plant and become ill.

If that small dog chews on everything, then any plant you have in the yard is potentially toxic. With some plants, only a portion of the plant is toxic....maybe the leaves or the roots or the berries or whatever. It also depends on how much of any given plant or plant part is actually ingested.

The best thing is for the dog to be taught not to chew on plants. Dogs that chew on plants of various kinds often cause themselves harm.

Dawn

o
RE: purple queen/purple heart/wandering jew TOXICITY?

I've seen this plant, growing in its native habitat, in coffee country, in Mexico. It's part of the undergrowth and there many people have animals running loose. I've never heard of anyone having a problem with it. But then, when allowed to roam, most animals seem to know or learn what is and isn't good for them.

George

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Oklahoma Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here