Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
carmen_peterson

New to forums

Carmen Peterson
11 years ago

Hello to all!

I am new to these forums and have found it very helpful. I just has a second bed built yesterday and can't wait to put in my first fall/winter garden. I know I am running a bit late from some but it is all good. Look forward to getting to know you all better

Comments (8)

• elkwc
    11 years ago

Carmen,
    Welcome to the forum. You will find it very friendly and usually someone who has experience with a problem willing to offer good advice many times from personal experience. There are a wide range or growers from veggies, flowers to pecans. Then there is me who on occasion likes to try to baffle others with my BS. LOL. Hope you stay a long time and enjoy your stay as much as I have since I found this group. Jay

• chickencoupe
    11 years ago

Hi Carmen! What are you planting for your fall/winter garden?

My family loves the brassicas. So, that's my attempt. I'm new to gardening so I can only plant and wait. lol

bon

• Shelley Smith
    11 years ago

Hi Carmen, and welcome! I'm fairly new here myself, but this is a terrific group. I have learned so much from everyone here.

This year I am going to try to keep my garden going through the winter. I read The Year Round Vegetable Gardener by Niki Jabbour and found it quite inspiring. I'm going to plant lots of lettuce and spinach, sugar snap peas, beets and carrots, garlic, radish, green onion and kale. Hopefully the peas will produce before it gets too late in the fall, and I'd like to keep the carrots and beets in the ground so I can harvest them as I use them throughout the winter. The greens, green onion, radish and garlic I will keep going through the winter using cold frames (which I will start building as soon as it cools off).

• shankins123
    11 years ago

Hi, Carmen!

Glad to have you here :~)

Remember a few things...there are no stupid questions..ever.

We're a friendly bunch and are all doing our very best with the bizarre growing conditions that Oklahoma has to offer.

There are a couple of people on here that are amazingly gifted, talented, experienced, etc., and they can be trusted to give you the straight scoop every time...believe them! Notice I'm not mentioning any names, but you'll know 'em when you see 'em!!

Sharon

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    11 years ago

Hi Carmen,

Welcome to the forum.

We have a lot of fun here, and we share lots of ideas and info.

Best of all, we encourage and support one another no matter what wacky weather is tormenting our plants....and we have seen every form of wacky weather you can think of.

One of these years it is possible we will have perfectly wonderful, calm weather all year long that behaves itself, leaving us nothing to complain about. Hmmmm. I wonder what we'll talk about then.

Dawn

• Carmen Peterson
    Original Author
    11 years ago

thanks for the warm welcome! I am planning to put in squash, peas, carrots, spinach, lettuce,beans, garlic, onions, a few traditional herbs as well as mountain oregano my mom is sending me. I still have peppers and eggplants in the ground. Playing it by ear right now and trying to see what I have seeds for.

• Macmex
    11 years ago

Hey Carmen,

Welcome to the forum. I believe we all enjoy having new members. I'm just now getting round to planting some summer squash and bush beans for the fall. Oh, yes, and hoping to put in some Swiss chard, kale and carrots (the one crop I have not, in six years of Oklahoma gardening, managed to produce in satisfactory amounts). We're all learning!

George
    Tahlequah, OK

• susanlynne48
    11 years ago

Hey, Carmen, welcome to the forum! I am a beginner veggie gardener, but seasoned Butterfly, Moth, and wildlife gardener, and know about a few natives, weeds, etc.

Tbere is always something new to learn about gardening. These guys have helped me tremendously with growing a few veggies, like tomatos, okra, cucumbers. and squash.

I also took a foray into growing Japanese Morning Glories this year.

As Sharon said, there are NO stupid questions. If so, I would have been kicked off long ago.....lol!

Susan