Return to the Oklahoma Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Red deposit on soil

Posted by slowpoke_gardener 6/7 (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 1, 12 at 11:17

I live in a low area and have trouble with poor draining soil. I also live in an old coal mining area with above average mineral count in the soil. I have a green algae or mold that form on top of the soil in wet conditions. After the soil drys it has a red tint to it after it crust over. All of the well water that I know of in this area also stains everything the same color of red, some of it smell so strong that it is hard to drink. My best guess is iron or copper mineral causing the stain. Does anyone else have the same problem, and do you have to do anything differently to your soil to counteract these conditions?

Thanks for you input.

Larry

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Red deposit on soil

Larry, I get the same green algae that forms on the soil surface during wet periods. I bet the red is iron, as we have a lot of iron in our soil too. You don't notice it much because our clay is red, but it will leave red stains on concrete, etc.

I don't do anything except keep on adding organic matter to my soil to lower its pH because both my soil and water are highly alkaline.

Our water normally doesn't get the discoloration, but it will every now and then. If it did discolor often, I'd have both our soil and water tested to see what was causing it for sure.

Dawn

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Oklahoma Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here