Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
slowpoke_gardener

Pumpkin /squash count from C. Moschata.

slowpoke_gardener
10 years ago

In the effort of trying to put my gardening projects to bed before Sept. I tried to count my pumpkins and squash which are nearing harvest. I had hoped for 100+ fruit, I think I have a 100 or more now. I had planned on 6 cured fruit for each of the 4 different kind of seed I planted (18 total). If I don't have high loses between now and Oct I should be well past the 100 count.

Larry

Comments (4)

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    10 years ago

Larry, I imagine you'll end up with a lot more than 100. My C. Moschatas continue flowering, setting new fruit, etc. until the plants freeze. I don't count how many my plants produce. Even if I try to, I get distracted and lose track of the running total somewhere along the way, but I know that last year, I harvested 45 or more Seminole pumpkins in one day off just two plants. That wasn't their total harvest for the year---that was just how many I picked on the last day before a killing freeze was expected. Those two plants only partially froze and continued to produce for a couple more weeks. It seems like I found another dozen or two over that last couple of weeks as the foliage died back and I found some that had been hiding under the foliage. Sometimes it seems like it can take the C. Moschata types a long time to start flowering and ripening fruit, but once they start, they don't slow down. Mine always go absolutely crazy growing and setting new fruit in August. They seem to adore the heat.

Dawn

• Macmex
    10 years ago

Also, with Old Timey Cornfield Pumpkin (and probably some other varieties), after a certain point, even if green, they will finish ripening in storage. I generally don't count on this with most squash varieties. But I've had it happen with this one.

After such a tough year with the grasshoppers I am greatly comforted to see my Old Timey Cornfield Pumpkins and White Cushaws growing so rampantly and setting so many fruit. I can't count the fruit on the OTCP, as the foliage is so dense and extensive. But at every turn I find them. The White Cushaw is more spread out and by itself. I counted four fruit, set and maturing and a whole lot more ready to bloom. The White Cushaw is in a spot which receives more shade.

Am praying for your operation Larry.

George
    Tahlequah, OK

• slowpoke_gardener
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Dawn, I expect to have more than I have room to store.

George, thanks for the prayers, a person can never have too many of those.

I would like to throw some attention to your seed saving effort and to the Oklahoma Garden Web by entering something into the Oklahoma Arkansas State Fair. I have never done anything like that and don't know if any kind of sign can be placed on the exhibit. Another problem I will have is that will be 2 weeks after my surgery, and I am not supposed to do anything for 6 weeks.

My family medical issues have gotten much worse. That, the insects, and dry weather have placed a big hurt on my garden. There are no show quality products in my garden, but I will show you my prettiest Old Timey cornfield pumpkin in my hill of 4 plants. (by the coke can). The largest ones seem to be on the other side of the hill. I have no idea how large they should be, but I am proud of them anyway.

Larry

• Macmex
    10 years ago

Larry,
    My experience with the Old TImey Cornfield Pumpkin is that produces fruit about that size. The largest I ever harvested was 30 lb. The smallest was 8 lb. Those look SO BEAUTIFUL!

Whatever you do, don't push too hard after your surgery! Better to be safe and get the best recovery possible.

George