Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
amyinowasso

purple hull peas

I will search the harvest forum, but I know many of you grow purple hull peas. How do you cook them. I bought some at the farmers market, because, I don't know if I have ever eaten them. I wanted to try some to see if I wanted to grow them next year. These aren't dried. Do I shell them first? I need to look for the jelly recipe. Bon, I also bought a bunch of different varieties of garlic. That lady will have seed garlic in Sep.

Comments (16)

• Auther
    9 years ago

You have to shell them first. Put the shelled peas in a pot with enough water to cover them with a ham hock or a couple of strips of bacon and an onion, salt & pepper to taste. Bring to a boil then lower heat and let simmer until peas turn a light tan color.
    They are easy to cook.

• AmyinOwasso/zone 6b
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you. I am a first generation Okie and my folks were Northerners. Never had cow peas when I was young.

• slowpoke_gardener
    9 years ago

And they are easy to eat. Mine were planted a little late and not ready yet.

Larry

• dbarron
    9 years ago

They're tasty....
    Oh, Owasso...I was thinking about that Thai place by the theatre in Owasso yesterday, wondering if they're still in business (lol).

Ex-Chelsea resident, now relocated back to Arkansas.

• yolos - 8a Ga. Brooks
    9 years ago

Here are a lot of recipes for purple hull peas from the PurpleHull Pea Festival.

Here is a very easy one from that website:

2007 Best PurpleHull Peas Category
    First Place: Christine Snider

5-6 cups shelled purple hull peas
    6 oz. centercut smokey bacon (use a good brand)
    Salt to taste

Cut bacon into inch size pieces and lightly brown in a dutch oven or deep saucepan. Do not drain bacon grease. Add washed peas and enough water to cover plus one inch. Add 2 teaspoons salt. Boil over medium heat until tender (about 45 minutes). Taste and add more salt if needed. Serve with hot, buttered cornbread.

Above recipe from the Emerson, Arkansas
    PurpleHull Pea Festival & World Championship
    Rotary Tiller Race Web site:
    www.purplehull.com\

I usually add things like onion or shallots, sautéed mushrooms at the very end of the cooking. Some people add green or red peppers.

Webcajun has a lot of videos on growing, harvesting and cooking purplehull peas.

Here is a link that might be useful: Purplehull Pea Festival Recipes

• yolos - 8a Ga. Brooks
    9 years ago

Here is a link to the Webcajun's way of cooking the pink eye purplehull peas. He has lots of videos about harvesting, canning, and cooking pinkeye purplehull peas.

Here is a link that might be useful: Webcajun Purplehull Peas Recipe

• AmyinOwasso/zone 6b
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Dbarron, the folks who ran Tavin's, the Thai BBQ place, retired, much to the dismay of many people I know. They are now using it for a weekly "restaurant" where procedes go to chatity.

Thanks for the pea festival info, yolos.

Larry, at rhe risk of being run out of the forum on a rail, I don't like black eyed peas, so I was worried about these. But they would make a good hot season crop, and good for soil. So, I thought I would try them.

• AmyinOwasso/zone 6b
    Original Author
    9 years ago

GW wouldn't let me edit that post to fix the word charity.

• dbarron
    9 years ago

Ah...a shame...I dreamt about it last week. Well at least if I go back, I won't go looking for it and think I lost my mind when I can 't find it. It took me about 5 minutes after I woke to remember where it was exactly...darn dreams ;)
    I like cowpeas (crowders) better than purple hulls myself, but have really not found any beans/peas I don't like.

• slowpoke_gardener
    9 years ago

Amy, if you did not like Black eyes I doubt you will like purple hulls either. We have a neighbor from up north, he wont eat okra or cow peas, but he does plant peas to improve his soil. He picks the peas to take to my parents, and tills the pea vines into his soil.

• AmyinOwasso/zone 6b
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I will eat okra, breaded and fried or roasted. Not fond of it in soup. There isn't much I won't eat. And probably, if I grew them, I would eat them. They are on the menu tonight with ham steak and I think trombocini, too.

• chickencoupe
    9 years ago

I'm glad you brought this up. Honestly, My first two harvests got shelled and eaten right in the garden. The other night I cooked the beans for the first time using garlic and bacon. I didn't cook the bacon, first. Maybe that's why it didn't come out right. ha

Garlic! I need to get my garlic bed ready.

bon

• AmyinOwasso/zone 6b
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I wouldn't say that they are my new favorite food, but they were edible. Thanks for all your help.

• farmgardener
    9 years ago

I always add a splash of Worcestershire sauce and about a pinch of sugar to my peas along with salt pepper and either some bacon or bacon drippings. I also cook mine in the pressure cooker if I am in a hurryâ¦.brown bacon in pan first, then add peas, water and seasoningsâ¦bring to pressure and in about 4-5 minutes you have peas ready to eat.

• chickencoupe
    9 years ago

Tx, fg! I will try this. Sounds yummy.

• AmyinOwasso/zone 6b
    Original Author
    9 years ago

It was actually better today. I sauted onion and garlic in bacon grease, added some homemade chicken stock and water to cover. I wanted it to be fairly plain so I could taste the peas. I think it is the texture that bothers me. Bet you could make humus with them.

Sponsored
Land & Water Design
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
VA's Modern & Intentional Outdoor Living Spaces | 16x Best of Houzz