Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tomatoworm59

I'm BAAAACK!!!!!!!!!

tomatoworm59
12 years ago

I have not been on here, since mid 2006, but wish to reconnect with all my old friends here. I really miss Susan Lynne, OkieDawn, Wheat Whacker to name a few.

Comments (10)

• owiebrain
    12 years ago

TomatoWorm + "I'm Back!" = I automatically threw a bottle of Bt at my monitor.

Welcome back! ;-)

Diane

• tomatoworm59
    Original Author
    12 years ago

LMBO!

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    12 years ago

Welcome back!

Dawn

• elkwc
    12 years ago

Diane,
    I was the same way. Just reading the title was enough to cause bad night mares let alone opening it and reading the post. Did cause me to check my tomato plants closer yesterday.
    Welcome back although I wasn't around the first time you were. If you know anything about gardening in the desert please share with me. I'm beginning to wonder if I do. LOL. Jay

• joellenh
    12 years ago

Diane just made me laugh until my sides hurt.

Tomato Worm, you were before my time, but I am happy to see you.

Jo

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    12 years ago

Jay,

Brace yourself! She's going to start telling you to stop killing the tomato hornworms we all know that you love so very much. ; )

Dawn

• elkwc
    12 years ago

Dawn hope she is up for a good fight!!!!! They have their place just not in my garden!!!!! Jay

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    12 years ago

Jay,

I haven't had a single one in the garden all year, but I have the moths everywhere. I'm assuming they're eating some of the native nightshades.

Dawn

• elkwc
    12 years ago

Dawn,
    I haven't had any since that real hard rain 3 weeks or so ago. Not sure why that would have anything to do with it. But if they come back I would gladly send you both some COD. LOL. Jay

• tomatoworm59
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Dawn, I found 21 baby hornworms [all sextas] on some old growth tomato plants I tore out last weekend. I have cukes planted in the bed now. My new tomatoes are in a different bed, where I tore out the old, played out cucumbers, July 2.
    Yes, tender loving care combing over those leaves and stems. At least half the cats were well under 1", a couple just 12-24 hours old. The biggest was only 2.5" and was first to finish. I lost 2 of them to illness, but NOT parasites. I have two ice cream buckets with dirt and pupae in them, along with sticks for the new moths to climb on for proper wing development. I will release the moths.
    Yes, I'm blessed with an abundance of silver, black nightshades, Carolina horsenettle and ground cherry on which to feed my little pets.
    Yes, it is against my religion ot kill any hornworm, except the catalpa sphinx cats, which come on, en masse. Those are NOT pests, they are a resource! They are for fishing and special treats for my chickens. Of course, some are captive-reared and released later. This protects them from the parasitoids.
    Dawn, did you get my message about your tomatoes?

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio