Return to the Oklahoma Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
The advantage of having a broken warer main

Posted by slowpoke_gardener 6/7 (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 16, 12 at 12:58

We were dry in April, May, and June. The grass died and the soil cracked badly. I expect the cracking soil put stress on the water line. We had 8.7 inches of rain over about 5 weeks. I notices some of my soil was not drying like I had expected, then I noticed water coming out of the meter well.

I am not sure what this is doing for my sweet potatoes, but they sure look good for being in an extreme drought
area and I have knowingly given them very little water.

Larry

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: The advantage of having a broken warer main

That is awesome. lol Those are some happy (lucky) plants.

bon

o

Larry,

I assume you've reported the broken water main so they can come and fix it? lol

Enjoy the extra moisture while you've got it.

Dawn

o

Dawn, I did report the water leak. I watched it for a several days, at that time it was not leaking as bad as it is now. I would take pictures of the meter and then go back later and take another picture ( I cant see much looking down in a hole). At that Time I told Madge that it was not costing me enough to worry about it. Then my lawn started getting soft in other areas, that's when I called the water company. The inspector found the area where the leak was. I told him that since the leak was on his side to come back fix it about Oct. and help dig "OUR" sweet potatoes. He laughed about it but I expect he will repair the leak soon.

Larry

o

Larry, that is a lovely sight!!! I'd ask them to wait until then too!

o

Larry, I think that if he REALLY likes sweet potatoes, he might come back until October.

Dawn

o

Larry, I had one break in my yard a couple weeks ago. When the City came to fix it, they accidentally dug up my Button Bush. They plunked it back in the ground with a thud, and I thought for sure it was a goner. Two weeks later and it is growing like gangbusters, putting out branches and throwing up new stems like crazy. Probably all that water and it obviously is a masochistic plant.

Great photo, BTW!

Susan

o

Susan, I am getting a little concerned. I dug a small ditch to divert some of the surface water away from my potato bed. I also have a ditch dug near about 5 feet from the house. That ditch is now filling up with water.
I may be getting too much of a good thing. There is no way it can get into the house but I dont think I want all my lawn that saturated ( my house is down hill from the leak).

My lawn looks like I am raising hogs, the armadillos are digging up everything. The water must be forcing the worms up near the surface.

I really dont want it that wet under my house.

Larry

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Oklahoma Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here