Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chickencoupe1

How's your porch?

chickencoupe
9 years ago

DID YOU ENJOY THE PORCH LAST NIGHT?!!

Oh boy. Oh boy. It was beeeyoootiful! Bug spray not included.

Even now, I'm at my desk wishing I could go outside and work in the garden or, even, do some yard work. But my back is feeling the weather because I've been taking advantage. I must rest ... for now.

Is it as wonderful for you, too?

Woot!

bon

Comments (9)

• slowpoke_gardener
    9 years ago

Bon, this has been a wonderful summer. I went to get another load of shavings yesterday, graded part of my drive and my parents drive. I am still not able to walk very well and have a lot of pain, but everyone I know is in the same boat. Getting old is not as much fun as I had planned.

Larry

• chickencoupe
    Original Author
    9 years ago

It's still worth it. Little Miss came in today hollering Momma! Momma! I was walking around the front yard sad (she was bored) and I saw this beautiful butterfly. I feel so much better!

Yeah... the moment when that back-breaking work pays off. :D

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    9 years ago

Bon, I guess the answer is no, we didn't enjoy our porch. Our poor porch is so very lonely. Cats sit on it. They sleep on it, walk around on it, etc. Humans? Well, heck, if the weather is hot, we stay indoors in the air conditioning, and if the weather is cool, we are out in the yard and garden working. I find myself laughing at us in that regard, because we have had the same patio furniture for 10 years now and I bet we haven't sat down on it more than a couple of times a year. We don't have any young children, though, and when you have kids, you do spend a lot of time on the porch watching them play. When Chris was little, I spent a lot of time sitting on the porch or deck just keeping an eye on him and his playmates.

We've been using the cooler weather to catch up on mowing, edging with the string trimmer, and weeding the garden. The bad part about that is that now I'm behind on the harvesting and canning, so that is my focus for today and tomorrow.

I wish this cool spell would last much longer than they say it will, but any cool or cooler-than-average day in the summer is a blessing.

Larry, I am sorry you still are dealing with so much pain. It is amazing how much work you do despite the pain. I can tell you do your best to not let it stop you or slow you down.

We have been rebuilding garden beds the last couple of years, with beds raised higher than they were before, and with wider pathways so that by the time Tim retires, we'll have a garden that is designed for less bending and stooping. I am hoping that getting all that sort of rebuilding done now will pay off a decade or two down the road.

Dawn

• slowpoke_gardener
    9 years ago

Dawn, thanks. I really feel I am doing pretty well now. Of all things, I am having more pain from a heel spur now than anything else. I am trying to stockpile enough mulch for next year. There are about two more loads of shavings at the mill I want to get. Those two loads will bring me up to about 8 or 9 loads of mulch for next year. I really like the method of mulching I am doing now. I harvested my 50th cantaloupe today, and harvested 5 watermelons in the past two days.

Bon, I am really enjoying our porch. It seems as though this is the first time in my life that I can sit and enjoy the porch. We don't have any small kids of grandkids to sit and watch, but we have a dog that thinks he is our kid, and he sits out there with use. The three of us sit there, Madge drinking coffee and me scratching the dog. This has been the best summer I can remember.

Larry

• lat0403
    9 years ago

My porch is hot. I've been enjoying the air conditioner instead.

Our consecutive days with highs over 90 is 10 and most of the state's at 0. But it's August, so the fact that the map isn't "consecutive days over 100" instead of 90 is good enough for me.

Leslie

• chickencoupe
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I hear ya, lat! I wish I could have spread the "cool" to every place in Oklahoma. For real. When I get excited over beautiful weather, I fear I'm rubbing it in people's faces. But that's not the case. I thoroughly expect everyone else to rub their good weather in my face from time to time.

Life.. lolz

bon :D

• luvncannin
    9 years ago

I hear you Bon we all get our turn.
    I just got a picture from my daughter in Hawaii!
    now that really is not a turn I desire but a back country area, cool weather, pitch a tent, lakeview I will take that !
    kim

• chickencoupe
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Oh, ... Hawaii .... paradise!

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    9 years ago

Leslie, I dread the next week. While our temperatures have broken 100 a few times (and we have consistently been several degr es hotter than our mesonet station all summer long so it has been hotter than it looks if you watch the mesonet), this has been one of those years, or at least the last couple of months have been, when even the cooler days are ruined by a high heat index. I'm not in a rush for summer to end, but I sure am looking forward to September's cooler weather. We have to get through the heat of the next few days, though, and I sure hope cooler weather then quickly follows that.

The temperatures themselves haven't been as bad as usual, but that doesn't mean they've been really nice either....except for those nights in the 60s, which have been pretty wonderful.

Hang in there, everyone. It is mid-August so we ought to have only a few more weeks of really hot weather. All too soon, we'll be freezing cold and longing for the spring warm-up.

Dawn

Sponsored
Hoppy Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Northern VA Award-Winning Deck ,Patio, & Landscape Design Build Firm