Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gardeningagain

Rain Barrels

gardeningagain
18 years ago

Does anyone know where I can either find a relatively cheap pre-made rain barrel in the OKC/Norman area or where I can find instructions to make one?

Comments (6)

• cjlambert
    18 years ago

If you have Atwoods in your area, check them out. I've found recycled olive drums (from Greece no less) a couple of times at the one in Bartlesville, complete with a spigot, for $40.

It is so great being able to water with rainwater. We have one downspout directed to it, and just about 1/4 inch of rain fills it.

Good luck. Carol

• OklaMoni
    18 years ago

I just got a FREE huge garbage can. Here in Tulsa, they don't have the big garbage cans like I had when I lived in OKC. This one is that sort of size.

It was sitting in the yard in my additon, with a big sign: "free, please take me".

Well, I obliged, walked there, and pulled it home. It still has its wheels.

I shall check it out in the morning, and see if it has any holes. If not, it will be used as a rain barrel.

I will put a spigot on it, and cut a hole in the top for the rain gutter.

If I can get it to work alright, I will post a picture.

Moni

• gardeningagain
    Original Author
    18 years ago

cj-

Thanks for the information. We have an Atwoods in Norman and I will be going by tomorrow to see what they have.

moni-

Let us know how it works! Looking forward to the picture.

• OKC1
    18 years ago

Rain barrels are great!
    I started with one my husband made for me from an old blue plastic drum, a faucet and a short length of flexible hose. He put screening in one of the holes on the top and a funnel is attached to the other. The drain pipe empties directly into the barrel.
    I use the rain water from this one for the black bamboo, hydrangea, and nearby plants.
    I had asked for another barrel, but had yet to be surprised, when fate intervened.
    One in summer my son called, very excited, to tell me he was at a garage sale at an address in NW OKC. The lady who was selling off tools and other items had a three tiered growing bench, complete with light fittings and bulbs, priced very, very reasonably (read CHEAP).
    Son asked if I wanted the light bench, knowing I couldn't resist.
    So he stopped by in his pickup and off we went.
    When we got there, as I was visiting with the lady (who had only used the table twice but was moving into a condo) offered to show me around her tidy, nicely planted yard.
    ON the back side of the house, I noticed two rain barrels, connected together to deal with overflow.
    She said she had ordered them from Gardening Supply and then offered me a real deal.
    I knew it was a good deal because I had drooled over the catalogue photos and been put off by the price!
    So, I disconnected these two barrels, built cement block support pads, and placed one under each of the other two downspouts in my back yard.
    We have screens on all three barrels so that debris and insects can't get in, but I still portion out pieces of the little anti mosquito donuts in them just for good measure.
    It really doesn't take much rain to fill them and it's so nice to be able to water with rain water.
    Now if I could just find a real deal on a compost turner with the right gear ratio to make turning the compost super easy.

• urbanagain
    9 years ago

There's a shop in kentucky that sells them for 25.00 a pop.....

• lcdollar
    9 years ago

City of OKC was selling rain barrels for $60 each, it was in my water bill a couple months ago.

I can't find anything at the OKC web site , at the moment, but I'm sure the program is still operational.

Here's instructions on how to make one

Here is a link that might be useful: City of OKC

This post was edited by LCDollar on Fri, Jul 18, 14 at 15:45

Sponsored
Dream Design Construction LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Loudoun County's Innovative Design-Build Firms