Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mia_blake

Horn's Seed Co Store Closing

MiaOKC
11 years ago

Drove by at lunch and saw Horn's store is closing (NW Expwy & Classen in north OKC). I know they had a fire a while back, sad that it looks like they may be done. Sign said 40-50% off everything, if anyone is interested! I will try to pop by and see if there are any great bargains.

Comments (11)

• Lisa_H OK
    11 years ago

Oh noooo. That makes me sad! I shop there pretty frequently.

Lisa

• GeneTheNewGuy
    11 years ago

Oh NO! That is so sad. I have been going there since before I was even born! My parents went there before I was born. I have depended on them for many years for advice and help. I was in there several times lately and NO ONE was there (customers). I drove by Sunday to get some seeds and saw they were closed, I just figured it was because it was the hot weather and closed.

I bet their real estate is worth a small fortune, it's probably worth more then the business.

I always enjoyed Herschel (passed away some years ago, he knew my parents from the 1950's) and his wife Dorothy still works there part time but I think she is in her mid to high 80's age and has slowed down a lot. And Rick has always been a fountain of information.

• shankins123
    11 years ago

NOOOOOO...oh - I'm sad :~(

My dad has gone there for 50 years, easily...me, only about 5 yrs recently; I'm sure I went with him when I was growing up - oh, he'll be sad to hear it, too. I'm kind of in shock!

Sharon

• MiaOKC
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Went by at lunch. The deal is 40% off all products (I loaded up on Osmocote, Agrosoke, Tomato-Tone and the like) and 50% off plants. They had lots of beautiful Japanese maples, but I just didn't want to get anything that needs to be babied in this heat right now.

Lots of people in there asking why they were closing. I felt bad for the owner/employees. I was kind of thinking "they are closing because they probably haven't been this busy in five years!" I rarely shopped there (it was expensive to me) but I did go there when I needed advice and would buy something small. That, in a nutshell, is probably why they closed - think of it multiplied my many many customers. It was also a bit out of my way, TLC is closer to me, but I rarely shop at TLC either, it's just too $$$.

There might have been a death in the family, there, too. I overheard someone mention something about that.

• shankins123
    11 years ago

I went there because they were locally-owned, convenient to me from home or work...and they knew what they were talking about! They didn't push the latest this-or-that, they were good, down-to-earth people and I like that. If you needed seed in bulk, they had it; if you needed just about anything in the way of unique chimes, or feeders, or garden signs - they had those, too. They know their plants, insect control, plant diseases, etc., etc.
    I'm trying to figure out where in the world to go now :~(
    Maybe somewhere in Edmond? TLC is OK...but there's just not the (sometimes gruff but heartfelt) personal touch there!
    I'll be going by after work today...Sharon

• shankins123
    11 years ago

I went yesterday...and then back today. I just might have to make another trip as well.
    I ended up getting chelated iron for my crape myrtles, a miticide for next year's spider mites...and then today I got coconut coir (by the foot) to refill a large hanging basket next year, a sprinkler, and 5 small Spirea "Renaissance"...those will go on my back fence behind my new crape myrtles...to make an effective block, in time, against the backyard/junkyard behind me. I'll baby those along until we're on the cusp of summer turning to fall.

Horn's does not have a lot of plants - some, but not a lot. If you go, you'll be looking at garden tools, bagged soils, mulches, amendments, etc., chimes, feeders, seed, beekeeping items, and all sorts of insecticides, weed killers, etc., pots, planters...pretty much anything else you can think of! They also have a fair amount of Old World Christmas ornaments. Plants are 50% off; everything else is 40%.

Sharon

• susanlynne48
    11 years ago

I just hate that. Is that the first fire (July) they had? I thought they had one a few years back, too.

I got a lot of my annuals, herbs, Tomato Tone, and my Back To Nature Chicken Manure from them. Where to go now? Maybe OKC Organics will have the CM, but they are kinda expensive, too. Lowe's and HD don't have the composted manures that I like - cheap and clumpy, and questionably composted. yuck!

I do like Precure at 63rd and Meridian, so will probably go there. They are also very nice and you get a saver's club card to use for future purchases as well. They have lots of butterfly plants and different things as well and they are very reasonably priced. They have really nice herbs, annuals, and perennials. They have a large tree and shrub section in back of the store, but I've never actually checked it out.

Susan

• MiaOKC
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Today's article in the Oke says that the fire was in February, but I feel like I am thinking about one that was even more recent. Perhaps time just flies more as I get older. Probably. Wait...

Google just showed me I am not crazy, and shows news reports of the fire July 15. Also in that report quotes the owner as saying that was their first fire.

Here is a link that might be useful: Horn's Closes after 91 years

• GeneTheNewGuy
    11 years ago

Another thing I will miss is they fixed water hoses. I don't know how many times I would get a goofed up brass end, one or the other. I would take the hose in and they would press on a brand new brass end (male or female). They had some sort of press and it would look just like factory new and it was excellent quality. They only charged around $5.00 or so, parts and labor. Far better than trying to put on a replacement brass end that I bought anywhere else, which would be cheap junk.

I will miss the people, their knowledge and help, their full line available year around, etc.

I am also a bee keeper, they had Dadant supplies and good advice from Herschel to Rick. RIP Herschel.

Gosh I will miss that place. You just can't go to walmart, Lowes, Home Depot, Ace Hardware, etc and find quality things and people who knew what they were doing.

• GeneTheNewGuy
    11 years ago

I might add the Marcums Nursery on SW 119 & Penn is also a pretty good nursery. They are a full line dealer and are helpful. I think they are a locally owned family store.
    Gene

• shankins123
    11 years ago

Thanks, Gene - I did see the beekeeping supplies; I hope someone can put those to very good use.
    I didn't know about their hose repair - maybe they'll sell you their magic machine and you can pick that up for a side job...lol.
    Marcums - I'd wondered about them. They're not convenient to where I live (in The Village), but I might have to go check them out.
    I do hope that Rick can find something to keep himself out of trouble..and keep himself and his wife fed (all of their employees, really).

Sharon