Return to the Oklahoma Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
O/T camping, cabins in or near OK?

Posted by joellenh 6b Jenks (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 14, 12 at 16:02

I realize this is not garden related, but I need some info and figure this group can help me. This weekend, we went tent camping in Arkansas and had a blast. But the campground was very crowded (sites were on top of each other), and the bathrooms were very far away.

We are looking for a really nice campground in the Kansas/Oklahoma/Missouri/ Arkansas area. Would prefer to rent a cabin for the women this time. The men and kids can pitch a tent outside. We would like the sites to be secluded for some privacy. Cost isn't a big issue.

Any advice?

Oh, and just to make sure that this post is STILL kind of about gardening, everything is dead. Strawberry plants, berry bushes, trees. All dead.

Jo

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: O/T camping, cabins in or near OK?

Jo, my family has great memories of camping in state parks like Greenleaf, Roman Nose, and Robber's Cave.

It is raining!!!!!

Here is a link that might be useful: Oklahoma state parks

o

Jo,

I was going to link the same page Betty linked, but she beat me to it. So, I'll link the page from Arkansas that shows which state parks there have camping cabins.

Down at our end of the state, Lake Murray and Lake Texoma are immensely popular, but they would be a really long drive for y'all. You're surrounded by all kinds of great state parks up there.

Right now Lake Murray, which is on the Love County-Carter County border is in the midst of a rebuilding program where they are tearing out some very old cabins and building a new lodge, and updating and renovating some other park areas. In addition to cabins, some parks like Lake Murray State Park also have lodges with rooms you can rent and sometimes they are not too far from the cabin and tent camping areas. Also, if you cannot find cabins in an area you want, you might find some rooms available in one of the lodges.

Everything is dead? E-V-E-R-Y-T-H-I-N-G????? Even the grapes? The figs? Say it isn't so!

Dawn

Here is a link that might be useful: Camping Cabins at Arkansas State Parks

o

Seems to me, I saw a sign for camping, when I stayed at the Queen Wilhelmina Lodge, on the Talihina drive?

Moni

o

Hey Miss Jo! We are campers too!!!

I haven't stayed here, but Osage State Park might be within your mileage. I HAVE stayed at Greenleaf and REALLY enjoyed it. I've attached the page for Osage.

Maybe Diane (Owiebrain) will chime in here on this. Her family has traveled from SE Oklahoma all the way to mid-west Missouri and she may have some valuable input.

Report back, OK?

Paula

Here is a link that might be useful: Osage State Park

o

Devil's Den State Park in Arkansas has lovely cabins, but they are not near the camping area. The camping area is not too tightly packed and the whole park is lovely. You need reservations for the cabins of course.

o

Arkansas has a lot of nice cabins, but I can't think of any that would have tent camping next to the cabin. You might look at VRBO (Vacation rentals By Owner) to see if you could rent a house or cabin and leave the guys outside.

Some really great Arkansas parks are Mt Nebo, Petit Jean, Crater of Diamonds, Blanchard Caverns, Devils Den. There are other, but I can't think of them right now. Arkansas has been under a burn ban this summer. That might affect your camping a bit.

o

We've stayed at Marval Resort, in Gore, OK. It has VERY nice cabins and is right on the lower Illinois River, with great fishing.

George
Tahlequah, OK

Here is a link that might be useful: Marval Resort

o

Jo,

We are do tent as as cabins camping every spring and fall and often in summer.

If you are planning only tent cabins, then you may want to explore Buckhorn Campground in Chicksaw National Recreation Area, some of the camp ground are close to lake on high platform, and very privacy in couple of them. Doris campground in Wichita Mountains Wildlife Refuge will good in spring, but may be now. It will not be crowded and deers roam freely around the tent all the times.

If you want to have both tent and cabins then look for the red rock canyon state park, they have nice but small cabins. Turners falls park has cabins as well tent facility, but falls area is very crowded in the long weekend. Never go Turner Falls park in any long weekends.

Cabins at Beaverbeds is good, we love the tree house cabins
http://www.beaversbendgetaways.com/cabins_treehouse.php

Cabins at Smoky Mts are the best cabins we were stayed, but that me be faraway for you. Recently we spend couple of days at another cabin in Gatlinburge http://rental.cabinsofthesmokymountains.com/gatlinburg-cabin-rental/Mountain_Treasure.html we had great time.

-Chandra

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Oklahoma Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here