Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
slowpoke_gardener

tomato plants removed

slowpoke_gardener
10 years ago

I have started getting ready for fall and spring. I mowed my green beans and tiller them in. ( I still have one crop coming on, as well as peas) My tomato plants are in the burn pile. I have soil ready for fall crops (if they ever get large enough to transplant). The Blues Chinese cabbage and Packman broccoli came up very quickly, the other stuff is dragging its feet.

I hope to plant the fall garden and then go to northwest Arkansas for total shoulder replacement. My granddaughters said they would harvest my sweet potatoes, winter squash and pumpkins. I feel like everything is pretty well in hand till prep time next year.

Larry

Comments (7)

• helenh
    10 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I hope your surgery goes well and that you see an improvement and relief from pain which you must have been having if you need this surgery.

• slowpoke_gardener
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Helen, thanks. I expect things to go well. Two Dr.'s have told me I have gone way too long and some damage cant be repaired, but most of the pain will be gone. I meet with another surgeon on the 15th., and hopefully surgery soon after. The surgeon I want cant operate because of health issues.

I think most men put off seeing a Dr. until its too late.

• borderokie
    10 years ago

Its not just men. I hate drs. Who are you seeing. Dr Park in Fayetteville did mine. Liked him a lot. He is a mess though. You never know what is going to come out of his mouth!!

• borderokie
    10 years ago

Its not just men. I hate drs. Who are you seeing. Dr Park in Fayetteville did mine. Liked him a lot. He is a mess though. You never know what is going to come out of his mouth!!

• slowpoke_gardener
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Sheila, I went to see Dr. Park, I liked him very much, but he said he was not well enough to do the surgery. I will meet again with him and a Dr. that works with him.

I like most Dr.'s that I have seen, but I try to yank their chain like Dr. Park seems to do everybody. Madge and I had a great time with Dr.Park in his office.

I have started Blues Chinese cabbage for you. I hope I can keep it alive, it sure does not like this heat. I have started some other seeds I want to share with you but I am not sure what all has come up. With all the stuff I have going on I don't seem to be able to do anything properly.

• borderokie
    10 years ago

You just need to take care of you! The plants will come later. Have some broccoli for you but it is growing very slow. If I had known I would have started it sooner. They are way too small to put out.
    Hate that Dr Park is not well.My husband went to him with his knee. He needs a replacement but is too young. They just dont last long enough. Hope all goes well. Give Dr. Park a hard time for me. I really needed to do both of my shoulders and tried to talk him into doing them both at once. . No way he said. Good thing. Probably will use the right one and let the left one go. One good arms all ya need anyway right? I just had no cushion left. So they took off spurs and trimmed 1/4 in bone. Nothing like what you are doing. Surgery wasnt bad but getting use back stunk!I could use it all I wanted to in front of me but reaching up or back was another story. Finally got it back just took a while. You will too. Hang in there. Will be praying for ya. Sheila

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    10 years ago

Larry,

I hope that your surgery goes just as well as it possibly can and that you make a great recovery in as short of a time period as possible. I am sure it is going to be hard to be patient and let your shoulder heal, but that is the most important part of the process---not rushing back into using it too much too early. Think how much better you'll feel next spring doing all your gardening chores with so much less pain!

I knew your granddaughters would come through and finish up the harvest for you. They are jewels! Ever since you started posting here, I have noticed how kind you are and how you take care of everyone in your family, even putting in/maintaining gardens for the ones whose health won't allow them to do it themselves. Now it is time for you to take care of yourself.

I want to follow your example and tear out some old tired plants, including many tomato plants, to get some space open for more fall plants, but it is so miserably hot that I have to prioritize and cleaning out the beds for fall isn't high enough up on the list yet. Yesterday, by the time I did the animal chores, harvested veggies and mowed a measly quarter-acre, the heat index had hit 100 degrees and I went inside to rest and cool off. I intended to stay inside only a few minutes but by the time I was ready to go back outside, the actual temperature had already hit 101, so it seemed smarter to stay inside.

I am about to head outside in just a couple of minutes to try to get about an acre mowed. Then I'll harvest veggies and, if time permits, maybe I can work on cleaning out a spot for fall veggies.

Our weather today should be better than it has been every other day this week, and after today, it should improve a lot more. The forecast high for today is only 102. Yesterday we hit 106 at our Mesonet station and 110 at our house. It was crazy hot and with low humidity and steady winds. After today, I think I will be able to take down the shade cloth that I've had shading the hot peppers.

There's not much green left in any grass that has been mowed, but there's not that much green left in it even before I mow it down either. We are at the point, in terms of dryness and fire danger, that I need to get all our grass, even in the pastures, cut as short as possible over the next few days. During the last couple of weeks, everyone has been working like crazy to get their haying done before the fields get dangerously dry, and I'd say we're about to hit the dangerously point. I was watching very carefully yesterday when mowing to make sure I didn't hit any rocks because a spark from a rock could set a field on fire.

We won't even talk about the hordes of grasshoppers, except to say that they are worse and worse every day and now doing tons of damage. If I just wait a couple more weeks, the hoppers likely will clean out the garden beds for me.

I think lots of us put off going to the doctor until we just finally have to do it. I'm not sure men are any worse about that than women are.

Keep us posted on how everything goes. I'll be keeping you and your family in my thoughts and prayers during your surgery and recovery.

Dawn

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor