Return to the Oklahoma Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Please identify Scary Bug

Posted by okievegan (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 11, 12 at 16:06

While quenching the thirst of a few delicate plants out back, I noticed some movement in a plant. This movement was worthy of WILDLIFE, not a mere nasty blister beetle. It took a while to get Scary Bug out of the plant and safely under the glass, but I bravely managed it.

Now, I need to know if Scary Bug is just a friend that will eventually look cute once I get to know him or if he was sent by a superior alien race to decimate my garden in some sadistic otherworldly psych experiment intended to see how an Okie reacts to Garden Saved by Drought but Devoured by Creature from Other Planet.

My mommy will post a pic shortly. I can't get pics from my iPad to appear on these forums.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Please identify Scary Bug

Here's the picture:

Photobucket

For the likes of me, I can't think of it. Sort of looks like a twig girdler?

Moni

o

I also need to know what the chances are that this bug has friends, or worse yet, a family complete with distant cousins. *gasp* and if so, will they be hosting a reunion?!?!

o

Is it black and white? It looks like a cottonwood borer to me. Pretty bug, but it was bad for my willow trees when I had them.

o

Here's a different view of it:

Photobucket

o

After looking up cottonwood borer, I released it. I have no cottonwood or willow trees, and there was no mention of it eating herbs, flowers, or small overly fluffy little white dogs.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Oklahoma Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here