Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
duckcreekgardens

Black Cotton

duckcreekgardens
11 years ago

gossypium herbaceum nigra" black cotton

Anyone know where I can find seed for this plant?

thanks in advance

Comments (13)

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    11 years ago

I've only heard of it being sold in plant form, but maybe you can find seed for it on eBay or something. Maybe on the seed exchange forum? I've only seen it in photos. I think there was a photo of it a couple of years ago in the magazine 'Martha Stewart Living' and it was gorgeous, but I've never seen seed for Gossypium herbaceum 'Nigra'. I have seen seed of the regular Gossypium herbaceum that has green leaves and yellow flowers,

Dawn

• duckcreekgardens
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Dawn

so far no luck finding it either. it's such a nice plant that you would think someone would offer seed.
    gary

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    11 years ago

Gary, You're welcome. You know, I heard someone has sold it before at the Cherry Street Market, but that is second-hand info. Have you seen it there? If so, maybe that person would tell you where they got their seed. I realize that when you're at the market, you're likely so busy selling that you don't have time to see what everyone else has.

I know seed is available from somebody, somewhere because after Martha Stewart featured it in the magazine, there were people buying them at nurseries in the northeast and planting them. But finding out which nurseries had them and getting them to even tell you their seed source or plant wholesaler might be impossible.

If I stumble across it anywhere, I'll let you know.

Good luck,

Dawn

• trickster
    11 years ago

Gary,
    I am currently growing this plant. I originally got seed from a friend in Pennsylvania. Seed set has been a little sparse, but I think I have enough to share. I can check & see how many seeds I have from last year, plus I have shared this with several others that I should be able to contact if mine doesn't pan out. Shoot me an e-mail to rickrickman@hotmail.com

• duckcreekgardens
    Original Author
    11 years ago

If anyone finds Black Cotton seed while looking around the web for other seeds, let me know as I am still on the search
    thanks
    gary

• jjstatz
    10 years ago

Found it!

Link below - They have it listed as black beautiful.

Here is a link that might be useful: black beautiful

• tacapollo
    9 years ago

I found a site giving away black cotton seeds.

http://forums.cottagevines.com/post/first-contest-free-rare-seed-prize-7253738?pid=1285823476#post1285823476

Better hurry, the contest ends 1/30/15

Here is a link that might be useful: Vickki's Garden Forum-Contests

• duckcreekgardens
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I was able to get some last season and have a very few seeds this year. tI was a beaurtiful plant, but didn't really start making bolls until late summer and they didn't have time to mature before the hard freeze. I also planted some Black Leaf Casterbean plants that were very beaurtful also.

• AmyinOwasso/zone 6b
    9 years ago

Do you all know what a sucker I am for unusual plants? I.must.fight.the.urge.to.order!

• chickencoupe
    9 years ago

lol Amy Me, too. My husband handed me the Victory Seed catalog that arrived. I just sighed. "I need to grow everything I've got, first."

• AmyinOwasso/zone 6b
    9 years ago

Shoot, don't mention another catalog, I might go there. I made my final decision on what to order tonight. I say final, but I keep changing my mind. I got an envelope today from a Facebook swap, chock full of herbs. It will be like last year, need more dirt!

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    9 years ago

Victory Seed is THE BEST. Many, if not most, of the tomato varieties I have on this year's Grow List are from VS. I don't know why they are not more well-known, but I like that they are still humble, have a sincere interest in relating factual (not made-up) historical information, if known, about their heirloom varieties, and their prices are great too. They're one of the best seed companies around. Amy, you might want to look at their catalog or website before you make your final seed order. I bet you'll see either better prices at VS or more tempting varieties.

Dawn

• AmyinOwasso/zone 6b
    9 years ago

Ah, you're killing me, Dawn! On top of another seed company, I discovered tonight that I like eggplant. Have never cared for it, but cubed, spritzed with olive oil, seasoned and roasted it is tasty! So now I need to figure out where to grow some...need more dirt...