Return to the Oklahoma Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Black Cotton

Posted by duckcreekgardens 6B OK (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 28, 12 at 16:20

gossypium herbaceum nigra" black cotton

Anyone know where I can find seed for this plant?

thanks in advance

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Black Cotton

I've only heard of it being sold in plant form, but maybe you can find seed for it on eBay or something. Maybe on the seed exchange forum? I've only seen it in photos. I think there was a photo of it a couple of years ago in the magazine 'Martha Stewart Living' and it was gorgeous, but I've never seen seed for Gossypium herbaceum 'Nigra'. I have seen seed of the regular Gossypium herbaceum that has green leaves and yellow flowers,

Dawn

o

Thanks Dawn

so far no luck finding it either. it's such a nice plant that you would think someone would offer seed.
gary

o

Gary, You're welcome. You know, I heard someone has sold it before at the Cherry Street Market, but that is second-hand info. Have you seen it there? If so, maybe that person would tell you where they got their seed. I realize that when you're at the market, you're likely so busy selling that you don't have time to see what everyone else has.

I know seed is available from somebody, somewhere because after Martha Stewart featured it in the magazine, there were people buying them at nurseries in the northeast and planting them. But finding out which nurseries had them and getting them to even tell you their seed source or plant wholesaler might be impossible.

If I stumble across it anywhere, I'll let you know.

Good luck,

Dawn

o

Gary,
I am currently growing this plant. I originally got seed from a friend in Pennsylvania. Seed set has been a little sparse, but I think I have enough to share. I can check & see how many seeds I have from last year, plus I have shared this with several others that I should be able to contact if mine doesn't pan out. Shoot me an e-mail to rickrickman@hotmail.com

o

If anyone finds Black Cotton seed while looking around the web for other seeds, let me know as I am still on the search
thanks
gary

o

Found it!

Link below - They have it listed as black beautiful.

Here is a link that might be useful: black beautiful

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Oklahoma Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here