Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
amyinowasso

Garlic taste test

I bought heads of garlic at the Cherry Street farmers market in Tulsa Saturday. I got one each of 7 varieties.

Red pescadero (Creole)
Georgian crystal (Porcelain)
Metechi (purple stripe)
Shantung purple (turban)
Chesnok red (purple stripe)
Lukak (artichoke - softneck)
Red toch (artichoke - softneck)

The lady said she would have seed garlic for sale in September. None of these heads are very large, and the cloves are average to small.

We are tasting them raw and cooked to see if any really stand out. I don't have that great a pallate, but my husband is pretty good so I hope to be able to post our taste tests.

Today I learned there are 2 subspecies of garlic, hardneck and softneck and 10 varieties of true garlic (elephant garlic is another species). The hardneck varieties are Porcelain, Purple Stripe, Marbled Purple Stripe, Glazed Purple Stripe, and Rocambole; three varieties of weakly bolting hardnecks that often produce softnecks - Creole, Asiatic and Turban, plus two softneck varieties Artichoke and Silverskin.

Porcelains and Rocambole grow better in the north, though Porcelains can be grown in the south some years and store 7-9 months, up to 6 feet from base to scape.
Purple stripes mature mid season and store well. 3-5 feet tall.
Glazed purple stripes, iridescent cloves store 5-7 months. 3-5 feet tall.
Marbled purple stripe store 6-7 months. 3-5 feet tall.
Creole easily grown in the south and are more tolerant of adverse weather. Small cloves, store 9-10 months.
Asiatics and turban early harvest, short storing.
Artichoke is the commercial variety, large bulbs and store well. Store 9-10 months.
Silverskins usually hot, strong, longest storing and good for braiding.

Today we tried Pescadero Red. Mild, not very hot when raw. DH thought it cooked too long and carmelized. What I can say is I ate it without that shock you get when you accidentally bite into a clove. I mean there was garlic taste without having it overpower your mouth.

Pescadero Red (Fisherman's garlic)

Pescadero Red is an interesting Creole that has a nice pleasant garlickiness but only a little pungency. It is a little more pungent than Cuban Purple and not as pungent as Burgundy. It has a pungency rating of about 2 on a scale of 10 and a garlickiness rating of about 4. It is a mild, mellow garlic, great for pesto.

Pescadero Red is a very vigorous grower and can grow quite large. Like all Creoles, it is a long storing garlic.�
Harvest in late spring/early summer...stores well into sprIng.

http://www.gourmetgarlicgardens.com/creoles.htm#anchorpescaderored

Comments (22)

• chickencoupe
    9 years ago

Nice! This is very helpful. We eat so much garlic I'm wondering if I should lean to the easily stored varieties. I need to hurry up and taste test.

bon

• AmyinOwasso/zone 6b
    Original Author
    9 years ago

We tried Red Toch last night. I was excited by the link below which says this is rich but mellow. Both my husband and I thought it was too hot raw, hotter than the first one. I added it to pasta sauce, but I couldn't tell anything special about it cooked. Apparently heat can vary with the growing conditions and weather, so who knows if it is always that hot (or maybe we are wusses.) This one I found is also sold by Southern Exposure and Burpee.

Here is a link that might be useful: Red Toch

• Baby G (USDA:10a, Sunset:21&23 SoCal-NE. Mt Washington, Lo-Chill: 200-400 Hrs, So
    9 years ago

Keep the reviews coming. I really enjoyed your primer too :)

• chickencoupe
    9 years ago

I second that.

• chickencoupe
    9 years ago

Morning.

I spent some time looking over the different varieties of garlic. Having dilapidated memory banks in my noggin, I searched an old thread on the topic of good varieties for Oklahoma. I'll post it here. I like what Jay ads to the knowledge bank.

What Type of Garlic Do You Plant and When?

• AmyinOwasso/zone 6b
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Lukac was not hot when raw, but tastey, could easily be used in raw recipes. DH said we needed more cooked garlic in the pasta, which may mean it was too mild, or that I should have really used more.

Here is a link that might be useful: Lukac

• chickencoupe
    9 years ago

Just for grins I picked up some purple striped garlic from the grocery store. I did a raw taste test and found it wwoaah so hot and pungent. I'm fermenting my pickles with it. They dont' taste that great, but it's probably seasonings. The garlic is too strong, too. Meh. Learning.

• AmyinOwasso/zone 6b
    Original Author
    9 years ago

DH made up some salad dressing with the garlic we grew last year. I asked him if he put hot pepper in it. We were both confused until we figured out how hot raw garlic is. I guess we never really had eaten it raw before. Your pickles may taste better after they sit awhile. I don't have a "gourmet" palate. DH is better at picking out flavors. I suppose if you grow different varieties you have to experiment till you find the right amounts for your taste.

Funny story. A friend had made garlic flavored oil. Apparently it was in a normal vegetable oil bottle. Her daughter baked a chocolate cake with it, not knowing it was flavored. You can imagine the reaction. My garlic loving son said he would have eaten it.

• chickencoupe
    9 years ago

Oh my! Your son.... wow. Give that boy a pat on the back.

• AmyinOwasso/zone 6b
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Chesnok Red: not hot when raw, good flavor raw. Smelled divine while cooking, but also not enough garlic taste in cooked product. The cloves were small, maybe we just needed more.

The description says it is sweet when roasted, and there was a sweetness to the dish we had tonight. It was brussels sprouts sauteed in garlic butter. I think I would like to grow this one.

Here is a link that might be useful: Chesnok Red

• chickencoupe
    9 years ago

Sounds Yummy!

• chickencoupe
    8 years ago

It's time!

Note that Amy mentioned above this lady would have seed garlic for sale. I might hop on over to Tulsa and nab me some to taste.

Lisa nudged me to look atPinetree's sale of garlic.

I know that most people aren't really picky about garlic, but it's a family favorite, integral part of everyday cooking and I'd like to expand. I was disappointed in roasted elephant garlic. It was good, but just didn't have much flavor after roasting. The porcelains from the store don't have a lot of flavor after being roasted, either.

I might try one of the samplers from one of these suppliers via the link Amy posted.

Any suggestions from any of yall's experience before I run off an order garlic?

Do ya'll have a particular type you grow for your tomato-based sauces?

I don't know nuttin' 'cept how to peel 'em and eat 'em.

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    8 years ago

You just have to try the different varieties and see what your taste buds like. Flavor is highly subjective and each person's taste buds will "interpret" flavor differently, and it just takes time to find flavors your specific taste buds prefer over all others. Try different varieties both raw and roasted to see what appeals to your family's taste buds. There are some varieties I don't like much raw but love roasted. I've noticed we tend to lean towards various reds and purples.

• AmyinOwasso/zone 6b
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I bought garlic from that lady last year in September. Wish I had the name of the vender. I bought one or two bulbs

of everything she had, which was slightly different from that list. I think I grew some of every thing on that list, plus Red Russian, which made huge cloves and big bulbils. There were others, but at the moment I don't remember the names.

I saved bulbils to plant, it takes a couple of years to get big bulbs from these, but I hope to increase my seed stock with them.

Elaphant garlic is really a shallot, with a very mild garlic flavor.

I can't really tell you about flavor, because we have been eating oddballs, the ones I couldn't identify or whose leaves had all died making them poor choices for storage. The one I cooked with last night, which I think was a softneck had no flavor. This might have been because it was on the edge of sprouting, or maybe they will all be mild from whatever variety that it was. I learned the flavor is stronger if you let them cure a few months. You can eat the bulbils, too, they are just small, most varieties are about the size of a grain of rice.

• AmyinOwasso/zone 6b
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Star Island

• AmyinOwasso/zone 6b
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Purple Glazier is another I planted

• AmyinOwasso/zone 6b
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Georgian Crystal

• AmyinOwasso/zone 6b
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Elaphant Garlic with corms - it's version of bulbils. I got some bulbils on the stems of some of my softnecks, too.

• AmyinOwasso/zone 6b
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

BTW, Cherry Street farmers market is open Saturdays 7 to 11 am. Between Peoria and Utica on 15th street. If you want softnecks, there is a guy that sells at the Broken Arrow market, I think it is the Rose district, 418 S Main St, Broken Arrow, OK 74012, Sat 8 - 12

• BixbyM
    8 years ago

I found garlic last fall at Grogg's Green Barn in Tulsa. German Red, Inchelium Red, Early Italian Purple, and Silver Rose. I don't know much about garlic and haven't used much of what I grew but have been happy so far.

• chickencoupe
    8 years ago

Thanks Bixby and Amy. Thanks for the photos. Your garlic looks great. My garlic patch was pretty much a big ol mess this year, but I dug up what seemed viable. Mostly, it was elephant garlic that survived. Some of the store-bought garlic survived. All of it was deep down and hard to dig up. I am considering a raised bed this fall. Not certain.

We really eat a TON of garlic. Last year I would go outdoors and shove store-bought bulbs in all the time. I'll probably continue. especially since you mention months-curing time. That might be why mine didn't have much flavor.

I'm getting soil ready, but I don't think I'll be planting until late October to mid November, depending on the weather.