Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
okiedawn1

Current 2-Day Rainfall Map from HPC Look Out Yall!

Okiedawn OK Zone 7
11 years ago

Dorothy, Carol, Larry and other folks in eastern OK, and in Arkansas and Missouri and some other states as well:

Look Out! Here comes Tropical Depression Isaac with a gift of rain for y'all.

The linked map shows the HPC's current 2-day forecast rainfall amounts. You could get higher rainfall if a stronger-than-expected thunderstorm finds you.

Dawn

Here is a link that might be useful:

Comments (3)

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    Original Author
    11 years ago

It looks like some drought-parched areas in Missouri are going to get a lot of rain today. I hope they don't get floods along with it.

For most of us here in OK, except for extreme NE OK, the good stuff is over or nearly so, and it is back to hot and dry.

I hope the forecast highs in the 100s that are in the 7-day forecast are our last string of 100s for this summer. It is time for those cooler September days to arrive.

• soonergrandmom
    11 years ago

Even here in the NE corner we are only getting light rain. During the early morning hours we got a few heavy burst for a minute or so, but since it has just been very light rain, almost like a mist. It's great for the ground because it is soaking in rather than running off.

We still only have around a half inch, but it is hitting the two counties in the corner of the state that were in exceptional drought on the drought map. It's not going to cure the problem, but everything helps. Our grass is green and needs to be mowed again so our situation is not as bad as it was in July.

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for the update. I was hoping you'd get more than just mostly light rain, but it is great that it is soaking in instead of running off.

I just turned on The Weather Channel and they were showing what looked like some pretty bad flash flooding in Pine Bluff, Arkansas. It is a shame that rain seems to come in two quantities this year: too much or too little.

Since I mentioned the flooding in the Pine Bluff area, I'll link the radar of the map and the warning area. Hopefully Isaac will move on out of there before they get more flooding than they already have.

When the rain fell here recently (we ended up with 3.2" over 4 days), our yard was a lake with 2-3" of water puddling everywhere. In normal conditions with moist soil here, those puddles could have sat there for up to about 3 weeks as the water was both evaporated by sunlight and also absorbed very slowly into the clay. We were so dry this time that almost all that water had been absorbed within 24 hours. I think that's a good thing. Puddles everywhere for too long would have turned into mosquito breeding pools.

I hope that the West Nile Virus that's been plaguing Texas, Oklahoma and a few other states does not break out in the Gulf Coast States hit by Isaac, but I am afraid it will. They're going to have water everywhere for quite some time.

Dawn

Here is a link that might be useful: Arkansas Radar with Flash Flood Area Indicated

Sponsored
Miller Woodworks
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
Franklin County's Trusted Custom Cabinetry Solutions