Return to the Oklahoma Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pumpkin Question

Posted by chabanks 7 OKC (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 20, 11 at 17:20

Hi everyone!
Well, I made a little mistake of planting some pumpkins too close to my herbs and the vines and leaves are starting to take over. I was wondering if it harmful to the plant to cut back some of the larger leaves so they don't take over my lemon verbena. Is that possible?
thank you
Chantry

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pumpkin Question

I think not but train the vine around the verbena. Once the small pumkins appear remember to sit on them like a chicken on an egg for at least 6 hours per day.

o

And it you have more than 4 you will have to recruit help for pumkin sitting.

o

I've occasionally cut back foliage, but you don't want to cut back too many leaves at once because the leaves are the photosynthesis factory that give the plant the energy it needs to ripen the pumpkin. I'd cut back only what I absolutely have to, and otherwise attempt to train the vine to grow away from the lemon verbena.

You guys are so crazy. I don't sit on my pumpkins. That's the job of the chickens. And, sometimes, the cats. Of course, the chickens are wondering why those pumpkins never hatch.

Dawn

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Oklahoma Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here