Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shankins123_gw

My bush beans -

shankins123
10 years ago

They were doing so well! I had tons of blossoms, etc., followed by a profusion of set beans, and then...they got stuck! I don't know if it was the cool weather a few weeks ago, or the rain, or a combination of all of the craziness, but they all produced beans to 1 - 1.5 inches long and then everything just stopped. No more growth on the individual beans - none. Now some of them are beginning to age and turn yellow. I guess I'm just going to have to trim them all off. At least some new blooms are starting, so maybe there's hope for having beans down the road - very weird!!

The continuing battle between my tomatoes and the fungus/spider mites has yielded me almost nothing (a few pingpong ball sized Matina, 1 golden grape, 3 black cherry...you get the picture). I thought the beans would be my saving crop this year (!) At least the butter bean vines are still growing and blooming, and my Delice de la Table melon is growing and blooming as well...sigh. Again...the gardening adventure continues!

Sharon

Comment (1)

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    10 years ago

Sharon,

You sure have had some challenges in your garden this year, which just goes to show that too much rain can be as bad as too little.

I think it is likely that the bean issue is weather-related, but slow growth and yellowing foliage also could be a symptom of root knot nematodes. In this case, knowing that you have had lots of rain this summer and that it often has fallen in pretty large amounts at one time, I suspect the excess moisture has harmed the plant roots somehow, possibly by keeping them so full of water that they cannot take up nutrients from the soil. I've had that happen with tomato plants in very wet years like 2007 and their growth remained stalled until the rain stopped falling, it got really dry and the soil dried out. They did produce a good harvest that year, albeit a very late one.

Often bean plants will put out a new flush of leaves, blooms and beans after the weather cools down in mid-to late-August if they remain healthy enough. Some years when they already have produced well but still seem to have some vigor, I've cut the plants back by about 50% and had great regrowth, blooming and harvests. I have pole beans that are sort of stuck like yours are, but I've blamed it on the heat since we really haven't had excess rainfall here. We remain in moderate drought, so even though I have watered the beans regularly, I am not sure it has been enough to overcome the heat and lack of rainfall.

Alternately, you have plenty of time to plant new bush beans for fall if you want to. The OSU-recommended planting dates for bush beans are Aug 10-20. I already planted fall pole beans last week, and have sown seed indoors for fall bush beans that I'll transplant into the ground the minute they sprout.

I likely will have to cover up all the fall bean plants with floating row cover, though, or the grasshoppers will eat every bit of the plants before they can produce anything. I did leave my spring-planted pole beans in the garden but don't know if they'll stay happy and healthy enough to produce this fall. The heat and dryness has been really hard on them, and the spider mites are creeping closer and closer.

Every year it is something, isn't it? I rarely have a year in which everything does great and usually am happy if half the garden produces as well in any given year as I had hoped it would.

I'm glad to hear the butter beans and melons are cooperating.

It is impossible to guess how differently your plants would have performed if y'all had had, let's say, 10" less rainfall year-to-date, than what you've had, but my best guess is that your plants would have been happier and more productive. If only it were possible to get the rainfall and the temperatures to behave the way we gardeners think that they should!

Dawn

Sponsored
Winks Remodeling & Handyman Services
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County