Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jdlaugh

Video walk through my garden

jdlaugh
11 years ago

I filmed a short video of my backyard garden, which has turned into a jungle in spots. I have sweet potatoes and Seminole pumpkins competing for dominance! The break in the heat and a nice rain has everything exploding with new growth.

Here is a link that might be useful: YouTube video of my garden

Comments (10)

• chickencoupe
    11 years ago

That. Is. Awesome. It' doesn't even look like a drought has been present in your little jungle. I'm jealous (but not armed with it)!!

Good for you.

• susanlynne48
    11 years ago

Fantastic garden, James! I am growing hungry just looking at it. My tomatos are starting to come back a bit, too. I have flowers on all of them, and fruit is beginning to show.

Beautiful!

Susan

• TraceyOKC
    11 years ago

James, your video was great. Its always inspiring to see how others are doing. Keep up the good work.

Tracey

• TraceyOKC
    11 years ago

James, your video was great. Its always inspiring to see how others are doing. Keep up the good work.

Tracey

• slowpoke_gardener
    11 years ago

James, you have a very nice garden and thanks for sharing you video. I did notice that you seem to be very low on you grasshopper supply, if you will send me you address I will send you a couple of shoe boxes full.

My melons and sweet potatoes are doing like yours, they want to run everywhere.

Larry

• jdlaugh
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for the comments. I went extra heavy on the mulch this year, which helped keep soil moisture stable during the worst heat. I also used shade cloth for the tomatoes and other sensitive plants to limit sun scald.

Thankfully bugs haven't been a big problem this year, although I had some squash plants succumb to vine borers early on. I've only seen one grasshopper in the garden all summer!

It's pretty common to flush a flock of birds out of the garden whenever I go back there. I see the occasional pecked fruit, but I suspect they have played a big role in keeping the bug population in check.

• slowpoke_gardener
    11 years ago

James, I just wanted to show you are not the only one with aggressive plants. yours are orderly, mine are just wild, much like kudzu and. I will link a picture to show how my sweet potatoes have attached my peppers and are overgrowing them, we are forecasted rain in a few days and the last time that happened I had a lot of broken plants because they could not support the weight of the wind and rain and sweet potato plants. I hope to get to trim the vines this morning and maybe tie up some pepper plants

Larry

• jdlaugh
    Original Author
    11 years ago

It's pretty amazing how sweet potatoes can spread out. The last couple of years I've grown Cordner's Red, a compact bush type sweet potato I bought from Duck Creek farms. I wouldn't say they were all that "compact" but they didn't take over the garden. This year, I just bought a sweet potato from the grocery store (no idea the variety) and grew my own slips. And it's definitely NOT a compact plant!!!

• slowpoke_gardener
    11 years ago

I have one row of Puerto Rico bush and one row Centennial in this garden. I am not sure that the Centennial did not smother everything else out. I have Beauregard and Georgia Jet in my other bed, they seem to be a little more behaved.

Larry

• cowgirl_kitkatt
    11 years ago

looks great. i couldnt keep a plant alive this year