Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
teach_math

teach_math
11 years ago

Hi everybody! I have been reading on here for quite awhile, and finally decided to take the plunge and join today. I thought i would start things off by giving a little information about me. We are living near Vinita for the past year now. Now that i have all of the major stuff fixed up on it i can finally spend a little more time on the garden.

I wasn't able to plant much this spring because of time restraints, but am very much looking forward to next year. My soil is currently is some terrible clay, but im planning on soon working in some old straw and leaves to hopefully start getting it into shape.

My tomatoes and peppers did ok this year even with the soil the way it was, but nothing else really produced. Hopefully next year will be better.

Its great to say hello to everybody and i feel like i know you already just from reading your posts over the last few months. Thanks so much for the wealth of knowledge you have given me already.

Comments (20)

• chickencoupe
    11 years ago

*waves

Howdy TeachMath Great place to learn with some excellent folks.

bon

• Lisa_H OK
    11 years ago

Welcome!!!! I'm in OKC.

• mulberryknob
    11 years ago

Welcome. I'm in Adair Co. Good luck on next year's amended garden.

• soonergrandmom
    11 years ago

Welcome, I'm next door in Grove.

• GeneTheNewGuy
    11 years ago

Welcome. I'm fairly new here too but I will testify that people here are very helpful and generous in answering my questions. I'm in OKC. Gene

• TraceyOKC
    11 years ago

Hi Teach! Welcome to the forum. :-)

• TraceyOKC
    11 years ago

Hi Teach! Welcome to the forum. :-)

• ezzirah011
    11 years ago

Howdy! Welcome aboard!

You will not find a better group of folks than what's on this this board!

• susanlynne48
    11 years ago

Welcome to the forum, Teach! There is a lot of information, good information, packed into the pages of this forum. I grew a few veggies this summer for the first time (except for tomatos), having a strong focus on butterfly, moth, and wildlife gardening. I, too, live in OKC, but you are in the prettier part of the state. OKC is like a concrete jungle, OTOH, and very spread out.

Come along with us and enjoy the ride!

Susan

• Macmex
    11 years ago

So glad you joined! Hope you're getting the same rain, we are, this morning.

George
    Tahlequah, OK

• soonergrandmom
    11 years ago

I think she got a nice rain last night, and so did we. Poor Dorothy, the rain seems to be afraid of her place.

• shallot
    11 years ago

Welcome Teach! I just joined also and am already learning a lot from everyone here. I hope you got some good rains last night!

• mulberryknob
    11 years ago

You're right Carol, for the second saturday in a row, we left Tahlequah in the rain and drove out of it before we got home. Heard it sprinkling last night. The gauge has a whole tenth of an inch this morning. So we are still praying for rain.

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    11 years ago

Welcome to the forum, Teach!

It likely is just as well you didn't get to plant much this past spring, or this horrid heat and drought would have driven you just as crazy as it has driven the rest of us. Surely next year will be better and by then your soil will be amended and ready for a good gardening year in 2013.

I'm glad you decided to stop lurking and start posting so that we can get to know you.

Welcome to our gardening family.

Dawn

• teach_math
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Oh yea i have gotten a good rain. I never made it over to the rain gauge to find out how much rain i got. Its coming down again right now, so maybe if it stops ill go find out. Hey George I think we have worked together last year. I held a ladder a couple of times while you climbed up it.

• Carmen Peterson
    11 years ago

Hello! I am in Yukon/Mustang/OKC (that small spot no one really wants to claim)

• shankins123
    11 years ago

Hi from me, too...I'm in The Village close to Lisa (and maybe Gene?)...east side of Lake Hefner in OKC.

Do you currently teach math, or...??

Glad to have you,
    Sharon

• teach_math
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Yes its my first year of teaching and things are going great so far. It makes for a long busy busy day, but i do enjoy it.

• soonergrandmom
    11 years ago

Teach, glad you are enjoying your first year of teaching. I have a friend from Vinita that is also new to teaching this year, but she went to Dodge City, Kansas. Are you from Vinita or did you just move there for the job?

• teach_math
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Im originally from Logan county. My DW grew up in Vinita so thats why im up here. Its definitely more green out in this part of the state. Also a bit farther north which means a little cooler winters and summers. (not much cooler though!)