Return to the Oklahoma Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cantaloupes, not again

Posted by slowpoke_gardener 6/7 (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 20, 12 at 18:49

I tried growing cantaloupes for the second time this year, I dont think I will master that skill.

Earlier in the year Dawn helped me with the two plants I planted, saving one of them. Later in the summer I planted more seeds. The blister beetles got all but two of them. I noticed that the plants had a lot of insects, some small, plus a lot cucumber beetles.

I took a picture on the 16th, then another today. I would like for you to see how fast they are declining. I have been trying to grow plants without sprays or fertilizer, I am about fed up with that idea.

Larry

Photobucket

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cantaloupes, not again

Larry,
Hate to see you are having so much trouble growing melons. I know how it feels. Tomatoes have been my main issue again. Did have a few bean plants die and also a few peppers. I gave up on the tomatoes and starting spraying. I'm using copper and Daconil. The only sprays I will use. Several of my coworkers in this area have lost all of their plants. They all looked similar to mine. I have two plants currently I'm watching. But overall the disease issue has diminished for now. Knock on wood. So hoping for a good fall harvest. My loupes are still looking good. Hope it continues. Jay

o

Larry,
Hate to see you are having so much trouble growing melons. I know how it feels. Tomatoes have been my main issue again. Did have a few bean plants die and also a few peppers. I gave up on the tomatoes and starting spraying. I'm using copper and Daconil. The only sprays I will use. Several of my coworkers in this area have lost all of their plants. They all looked similar to mine. I have two plants currently I'm watching. But overall the disease issue has diminished for now. Knock on wood. So hoping for a good fall harvest. My loupes are still looking good. Hope it continues. Jay

o

Larry,

I am sorry you are having so much trouble with melons. Because I know what your rainfall has been like recently as well as your temperatures, I suspect it is bacterial wilt. I have a lot of trouble with bacterial wilt some years, and almost no trouble with it other years. It is most commonly spread by cucumber beetles and if I have seen a single cucumber beetle this year, I've forgotten I saw it. Usually I have cucumber beetles from early March through the first killing freeze. In their absence, I'm having a great melon year. The only way to avoid bacterial wilt is to have the melons under floating row covers from the day they're planting. Also, while I don't generally worry much about crop rotation, I'll plant melons in a different place every year so I can avoid getting a build-up of bacterial wilt in one part of the garden.

Dawn

o

Larry;
So sorry to see their sad state. thank you for posting pictures and thanks to Dawn for identifying. Now I know hwat happened to my last melon patch.

bon

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Oklahoma Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here