Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
punkinheadjones

what to do with overgrown armenian cucs

PunkinHeadJones
12 years ago

Fleeing violence and oppression in thier homeland the Armenian people brought thier culture and cucmbers to America or rather thier cucmbers brought them. these vigorus meons can grow very large and can be hollowed out like dug out canoes. By rubbing the canoe with vinegar during the ocean crossing the coupled witht he sea water the rufugees would end thier juorney with hundreds of pounds of life sustaining pickles.

For smaller cucs, say only the size of your forearm they can be scooped out stuffed iwth tomato meat and rice mix used for zucs and peppers ect. due to the size allow extra cook time. 375 1 + 1/2 hr coverd (for steam action) 15 + min uncovered to brown or melt topping of some sort.

Comments (11)

• slowpoke_gardener
    12 years ago

PHG, that sounds good. I also think you could save the dried seeds for fire wood this winter.

• Pallida
    12 years ago

You two are nutz! Write a book or start a stand-up comedy act! HA

jeanie

• mulberryknob
    12 years ago

But aren't they great? I've grown them for a few years, but didn't know until this year how very drought tolerant they are. My cucs are all toast, but my Armenian cucumber--which is really a melon, which probably accounts for its heat tolerance--is still producing.

• bettycbowen
    12 years ago

The one I picked this weekend was growing right out onto concrete. Seriously it was in direct contact with concrete. No burns on that side or anything.

• PunkinHeadJones
    Original Author
    12 years ago

They sure are on of the few garden stars this year. Even though they have a number of cuc beetles they seem much more resistent to the wilt desease carried by them. But I am glad I ran across the idea of stuffing and baking because my partners and I can only eat them raw or marinated for so long. And you can't really give away the giant mutant ones that easily.

In baking/ stuffing the giant ones after you have hollowed out the canoe sprinkle the interior with salt and place in the frig for a couple of hours. This does several things, draws a little saly into the cuc for flavoer and extracts water and concentrating flavor and removes excess water that might make the stuffing too soggy. You can just pour the collected water out before stuffing.

• tracydr
    12 years ago

It's been too hot here, or something. I've had about four cucumbers from six plants, all summer. I've fertilized and all I get is male blossoms. I've seen lots of bees working flowers so it's not lack of pollinators. I also have them in different locations, different soil. I'm not sure what else it could be, besides heat. They look fairly healthy, especially the one in the tomatoe garden. Huge leaves and lots of vining. I hope, since they still look good, they'll start producing as it cools down a little. I've gotten two of my fruits since the monsoon started and temperatures have been a little more moderate. ( less than 110 most days)

• slowpoke_gardener
    12 years ago

I picked one a few minutes ago and ask DW to cook it. It is something new for both of us.

• tomatoworm59
    12 years ago

Please send me some seeds. I can grow them. I have a juicer now, so I don't have to waste ANY cukes. I always liked the Armenians.

• slowpoke_gardener
    12 years ago

Tomato Worm, I think I have seed left over from spring and have seed from fruit this year. I can send some of either or both.

They need hot weather, I'm not sure that they will have time to produce this year.

Larry

• tomatoworm59
    12 years ago

Larry, how long did it take to just get some fruits? It may be too late for them to mature into future seed producers, but I have at least until 10-31 before a killing frost.
    Barefoot Farmer 435 CR 3213 DeKalb, TX 75559 is the farm and addy to send to. Thanks.

• slowpoke_gardener
    12 years ago

I will try to dig out seed from the ones I bought and see if I can find seed from this years crop. I will mark and separate. I got good germination from the ones I bought and the ones out preachers wife gave me. I have no idea what the new seeds will do.

I don't remember how long it took to get fruit, some of seed books may tell you.

Larry