Return to the Oklahoma Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bug ID

Posted by mulberryknob z6OK (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 14, 12 at 21:02

I don't have a pic, but there is a strange insect in my garden that I can't find in my guides. It is orange and black, banded horizontally across it's body, about the size of a black blister beetle. It appears to be fuzzy, like a bumblebee. I see it crawling along the ground. Doesn't seem to have wings. Surely someone will know what this thing is and if it is friend or foe. I assume not foe or surely it would have been in my guide to insect pests. Thanks for any help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bug ID

Would it be one from the Cow ant family?

o

Lady beetle larvae? (OK. I know I'm not much help, here.)

Larry, that cow ant thing is gnarly. Never seen that before and don't think I'd like to cross it's path, either. I'm not particularly fond of wasps, much less those in disguise. sheesh

o

Dorothy,

My first thought was that it was a red velvet ant. Then, I read Larry's ID of a cow-killer, and had to look it up, and it is....the red velvet ant.

If our ID is incorrect, let us know and we'll try again.

I'll link a photo of the type of red velvet ant I see here. Yours may not look identical. There are many species of red velvet/cow killer ants.

Dawn

Here is a link that might be useful: Red Velvet/Cow Killer Ant

o

We have had those things on this place since I was a child, and maybe a million years before. I have a strong hatred of them from stepping on so many barefoot. They may be a good bug but they sure inflict a painful sting. They are hard to kill also, you can stomp one and it will keep running after you move you foot.

Larry

o

I don't see them often enough to worry about them...just a few times a year, so I ignore them.

My pet peeve among stinging insects here is the scorpions. I hate them, hate them, hate them.

o

We have lots of these and they have never bothered us. Reading the link Dawn provided makes me like them, more than not.

George
Tahlequah, OK

o

That's it. Thanks. I've seen the female; now I will look out for the male.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Oklahoma Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here