Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
scottokla

Jay, is your boat ready just in case?

scottokla
10 years ago

Looks like you are getting a good rain finally!

Comments (10)

• elkwc
    10 years ago

Scott I just came online to post our rain totals. I knew some of you would be interested as you've read my posts of little rainfall for so long. This is the first big rain we've had in several years. The frogs are singing. I emptied a 1/2" this morning. Then had another 2 1/2 inches in it a few minutes ago and still raining. This all came from around 8 till now. No hail tonight but some high winds. Everything is under water. We finally received that nice big rain over an inch we had been needing. This will put some moisture down in the soil. Especially in the garden area. I didn't see any standing in the garden. I have that area prepared where it takes water real well. I had just deep soaked some areas a few days ago. So they will really be soaked now. The hail and wind last night did some damage but most will come out. Some of the cuke plants did get beat up fairly bad. I still have time to plant some more if I need too. Much more of this and I will need a canoe and my feet may become webbed. Jay

• scottokla
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Very nice!

• soonergrandmom
    10 years ago

Good news Jay, but I was watching those winds.

• elkwc
    10 years ago

Carol so far the winds have done as much damage as the small amount of hail we have received. I haven't looked anything in the light since the storm last evening. They give us very good chance for more this afternoon and evening. Areas east of us that got hit the day before and again up to twice last night had severe flooding. The big rains have been around us for a week. The Cimarron River was flowing north of Keyes, OK Monday. With these rains it might reach Elkhart now. It is good to see a large area get some nice rains. My BIL and sister didn't receive as much but did have a nice rain. Last night the top gusts were around 30 mph. Tuesday evening they hit around 60 mph. I just came back from checking the rain gauge. I received another tenth during the night. Which brings me to a total of 3.10 inches over the two evenings. Another good rain tonight and you might see me in a canoe headed east. I just walked by one end of the garden on the way to the gauge and everything still looked as good as it did yesterday afternoon. Of course that was by the light from a flashlight. Today is supposed to be upper 70's and then maybe not above 90 for eight days. The garden should explode. The okra may not like the cooler temps as much as much of the rest of it. Jay

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    10 years ago

Jay,

This is great news and I'm so thrilled not only for you and your garden, but for all your neighbors and your community! I hope this rainfall helps the farmers as much as it helps your garden.

It would be worth it to have webbed feet, but if you start quacking like a duck, I'm going to get worried.

I watched the radar and thought to myself that there was no way that the rain was missing you this time, and just like Carol, I was watching those high winds and hoping they weren't doing too much damage.

I hope you enjoy the cool spell and get to enjoy being outside a lot during the temperatures. I suspect the okra will survive the cooler temperatures just fine. Mine doesn't start dropping leaves because of cooler weather until late September or early October of most years.

When the garden explodes, enjoy it! You have labored under extreme and exceptional drought for so long. I hope this good rainfall and the cooler temperatures are a sign that y'all's weather is going to straighten up and behave for a while.

If it keeps raining, though, you may need a bigger boat---like an ark!

Dawn

• Lisa_H OK
    10 years ago

Yay!!!! I am so happy for you! Every time rain is mentioned, I look to see if you are getting some. It's wonderful to see you finally got some...and in a sufficient amount!

• soonergrandmom
    10 years ago

Jay, if you see another cloud headed east, just throw a rope around it and hold it there please. We received 4.3 inches last night making our 2 day total 4.7 inches. We have had 11.74 in the last 30 days so last night was way too much to receive at one time. As we drive from our house to our son's, everything is green, the barns are filled with hay and bales are in the fields with lots of fields ready to cut again. This kind of rain is going to make it grow faster, but impossible to get in there to cut. I am glad to see rain for those that need it, but we have had enough for awhile.

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    10 years ago

Much of Kansas, including Jay's county, remains under various flood and/or flash flood watches and warnings, as does a significant portion of Missouri and parts of Arkansas and Oklahoma. Who would have thought Jay would ever have a flood watch or warning there in his county?

Carol, I saw your county's rainfall this morning on the mesonet map and couldn't believe how much had fallen. I bet the green country is really, really green right now.

For those of you thinking all the rain is missing my part of Love County, you shouldn't worry. It actually is raining here.....though we're not getting as much rain as Jay or Carol.

Yesterday we got a whole 0.01" inch of rain, but today so far we have doubled that with 0.02" of rain. Three one-hundredths of an inch this week! Isn't that something! I'm laughing. Maybe more rain will fall. Maybe we'll make it up to 0.04" or 0.05". It is a lot cooler today so we are at least benefitting from the rain-cooled air in the region, and periodic cloudy spells cool us off for a little while every time it starts heating up too much today.

• elkwc
    10 years ago

Carol after I was able to look everything over in the daylight most of it looks ok. Lost one bean plant of a variety I only had 4 plants of. I was hoping to increase the seeds of it. The one variety I only have one plant of survived. Really I was fortunate with the hail and wind. The highest clocked gust in the storm last night was 30 mph. Tuesday night the highest gust was close to 60 mph. Last night 6 miles south of me a site clocked a gust at 80 mph. Again part of the same storm my moisture came out of. This morning I did a line locate 17 miles SW of Elkhart where the wind and rain combination snapped off 6 power poles in a row. We have a gas transmission line close to one of the poles so had to locate it so they would hit a gas geyser while setting a new pole. And this afternoon I traveled through an area 20 miles plus SW that was wiped out with golf ball sized hail again part of the same system. After hearing and seeing the damage that occurred elsewhere from that same system I'm very thankful and grateful for the moisture and the lack of severe damage. You could tell by looking when the cloud was headed this way and then the cold air coming off it that hail was in it. It seems the hail damage seemed to be heaviest on the north side of the system and the wind the highest on the south side. I'm not sure why. The middle of the system basically hit us. We received another tenth today. Have chances over the next 5-6 days of receiving more. I hope more comes. The good thing is a lot of area that was in severe drought status received some very beneficial rains. I saw an area this evening that received what I did last night and had another large one this evening. The highway was covered with water and the fields are rivers. It is hard to believe that just two weeks ago I was line locating in that area and it was bone dry. Carol I'll try to take your quota for a while. I can still use more. My garden will be in great shape as I have kept it deep watered well most of the summer. The other areas can sure use more. We need to build our subsoil moisture back up.
    Scott I have finished the pecans I purchased from you. My doctor said I should eat lots of nuts along with the other things I've been eating. They were so good I snacked on them till they were all gone. Tried buying some out of the store a few weeks ago and after eating yours they are like eating a store bought tomato. Would like to buy some more if possible this fall/winter. Jay

• scottokla
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Jay, I wish I was making a trip through soon, but right now I have no plans to do it. We had another big load shelled out in May (now in cold storage) so I have a few hundred lbs of shelled halves and pieces needing to be sold that would only be $5 to $6 per lb.

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner