Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
scottcalv

scottcalv
9 years ago

Hi y'all. New member to the forum. I have been reading it for years and finally decided to join. My name is Scott and I live a few miles west of Purcell. I finally decided to join because I have a plant id question. But I gotta figure out how to post the pic. If it posts it is a fern looking plant that thrives in my pasture in full sun drought conditions. Early summer it has pinkish flower spikes. I landscape some and thought about using it in xeriscapes if I can propagate it, but want to know the name.

And also season after season I see gopher and mole issues. There seems to be lots of opinions on that subject so I figured I would offer mine because I kill thousands a year. Trapping is the way to go. Period. Just my opinion...

Thanks y'all
Scott

Comments (17)

• chickencoupe
    9 years ago

That's a very pretty bush! No idea what it is. I bet TexasRanger might have a clue.

Welcome!

bon

• chickencoupe
    9 years ago

Apologies! I should have waited to comment instead of bumping your post down so everyone can see it. Bump it, occasionally if ya need.

• seeker1122
    9 years ago

welcome
    Don't know what it is but sure is pretty.

I hate Moles my cat that killed them went missing before the spring fling where I got some horseradish and the moles just now after 4 months decided to kill them.
    good luck
    Tree

• chickencoupe
    9 years ago

bump!

• scottcalv
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Forgive my ignorance but what is "bump"?

• slowpoke_gardener
    9 years ago

Bump is when you reply to post and it "bumps" it up to the top of the list again. When you have not read that reply the heading will show in blue, after you have read the reply the heading will show in sort of a red color, or at least that is how it is on my computer.

If you catch thousands of gophers a year you should be marketing the pelts. I think there might be a market for them for making wallets or handbags. You may have to call them something different, like subterranean mink.

Welcome to the forum, we have a good time here.

Larry

• scottcalv
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you, Larry. Actually my wife's uncle owns a fur store. I hit him up about it and he swears there is no market anymore for these types of skin. The customers prefer other types of furs now that are mostly farmed in China. But that's getting off topic.

I sure do want to find out about this plant.

Thanks

• chickencoupe
    9 years ago

Yeah, Scott, when someone creates a new post it stays on top. After someone comments, it flows downward where it's not as visible. That's why I wished I hadn't commented. But a new comment brings it back up. If you ever post and not a soul comments, that's why. They don't have an answer and hope someone will see the post who does. So... bump!

bon

• AmyinOwasso/zone 6b
    9 years ago

subterranean mink...ROFL

• scottokla
    9 years ago

What is it about guys named Scott and gophers?

• chickencoupe
    9 years ago

LOL

• Macmex
    9 years ago

Scott, welcome to the forum!

Wish I could help with the plant ID. But I don't know.

I hear great things about mole trapping. My daughter-in-law and her father are really good at it. She even gave me two traps. But I never got it figured out. Then, I got livestock guardian dogs and... almost no more moles. The dogs get them.

George
    Tahlequah, OK

• oldbusy1
    9 years ago

You might have some luck in the what is it forum.

• scottcalv
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Busy1--thanks for the suggestion. I found a "name that plant" forum. Thanks.

George--some dogs get it and some don't. In fact I have seen plenty of yards where the dogs made a bigger mess than the gophers. And never got the gopher! As far as the mole traps go, not all traps work as well as others in different soil types. So maybe thats why you didn't have luck with their traps. Who knows. I carry 3 different types of mole traps so I am prepared for whatever the soil is. But your dogs don't care what soil type is!

Scottokla--How do you deal with gophers?

• scottcalv
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Busy1--thanks for the suggestion. I found a "name that plant" forum. Thanks.

George--some dogs get it and some don't. In fact I have seen plenty of yards where the dogs made a bigger mess than the gophers. And never got the gopher! As far as the mole traps go, not all traps work as well as others in different soil types. So maybe thats why you didn't have luck with their traps. Who knows. I carry 3 different types of mole traps so I am prepared for whatever the soil is. But your dogs don't care what soil type is!

Scottokla--How do you deal with gophers?

• scottokla
    9 years ago

scottcalv, I now just use wooden box traps. I only kill about 10 per year now, but I took out about 105-110 the first year we moved out here. I got one today in fact.

The box traps for me have more than a 50 % success rate the first try on a new gopher. I have only had 3 gophers in 10 years that I could not get with the box trap, but that is a long story.

I have never tried very hard to kill the moles. They are everywhere here and make the lawn a mess. I hate them but they are much harder to eradicate.,

• scottcalv
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Busy1--Good call on the other forum. The plant is amorpha canescens. Aka lead plant because our ancestors used to think it indicated the presence of lead in the ground.

Thank You
    Scott

Sponsored
Landscape Concepts of Fairfax, Inc.
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
Northern VA's Creative Team of Landscape Designers & Horticulturists