Return to the Oklahoma Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Looks like summer will not be ending soon

Posted by scottokla 7 (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 16, 14 at 22:53

From what I can tell, the chance of cool weather or widespread rain is very slim for the rest of August.

What could have been one of the nicest summers you can get will turn into just a normal June, a wonderful July, and then a warm August.

My weather station summary for the months of June and July show that the overall average hourly temp for June was higher than for overall July. How weird is that!?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Looks like summer will not be ending soon

It's been wonderful so far, so we can be grateful for what we've had and just accept that typical Ok weather has returned.

o

I couldn't believe, the last Friday night in July, when I came home from picking up a new livestock guardian dog puppy, and had to do some chores around 11 PM, before going to bed. I found myself wearing a sweat shirt and breathing steam!

George
Tahlequah, OK

o

And now it's wet again at least. We've had 2&1/2 inches since last evening. No watering the orchard for us.

o

It was 74 at 7pm, it was up 95 or more today and we got 7/8" of rain and some strong wind. My north tomato trellis will have to be rebuilt before next year. It looks like hot weather is in store for us later in the week.

o

The forecast out past 7 days is looking a bit better.

No rain here, but it did cool down a bit from storms 20 miles away.

o

This whole year has been weird so nothing that the weather does from this point forward will surprise me.

We got an inch of rain over the weekend and about an inch last week. On top of the June-July rainfall that fell, we are about as green in August as I ever can remember. Unfortunately, our really wet August of 2005 was followed by massive wildfires beginning in October 2005 and running through most of 2006, so the important thing is that the rain needs to keep falling this fall and winter. Otherwise, all this lovely green vegetation we have right now will just become fuel for wildfires.

It has been hot lately---98 at our house today, but sometimes at this time of the year we are at 105-110, so 98 doesn't feel nearly as bad as it sounds if you compare it to those other years that had a significantly hotter August.

We have had rain-cooled air or clouds some days that were from rain that was somewhat close to us and missed us, and even though we didn't get the rain, having even an extra hour or two a day of cooler temperatures has been wonderful.

o

Well, the good news is that the 45-day forecast calls for temps in the 50s for lows and highs near 80. Not sure when, but eventually!! Almost September, 2nd best month of the year!

o

So erratic is our weather one dog and all the rabbits still have portions of their winter coats. By the time it is fully shed it will be cool again. I have been brushing endlessly.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Oklahoma Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here