Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
borderokie

fall planting

borderokie
10 years ago

Well after a little rain the dirt was calling my name. Planted the cabbage plants Larry gave me. Broccoli, spinach, lettuce,snow peas, beets, tender greens, swiss chard and radishes. I even went ahead and planted my green beans again. I know I probably won't get anything from them. Just went a little nuts. Got my floating row cover in. Might as well try it on something!

Comments (4)

• chickencoupe
    10 years ago

Sounds legit. I stuck a few veggies seeds in yesterday while planting more onion seeds. We shall see. Weather is beautiful here.

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    10 years ago

I hope y'all have wonderful fall gardens. I'm not planting one. It is just too hot and too dry and no relief is in sight for our end of the state.

The little bit of rain that fell wasn't enough to make me change my mind and plant something for fall. All the plants that were wilted before the rain fell perked up for about a day and then went back into that wilted-and-dying phase. They're just going to have to die because it isn't cost-effective to keep watering them.

Bon, the weather here looks beautiful if you're indoors looking out. The temperatures are better this week than last, so maybe we hit our last 100-degree day last week. However, the soil moisture is ridiculously low and all the plants look awful, including native cacti that ought to be able to tolerate the long, dry, hot summer better than they have since 2011.

With extra time on my hands since I'm not gardening, I've been busy painting the house instead, and painting is not nearly as fun as gardening.

Dawn

• chickencoupe
    10 years ago

Dawn, I'm so sorry it's dry and hot in your area. It's a shame I cannot share what' is here. If it makes you feel any better, know that I have bind weed coming out of my..................... fence. I'm always complaining to my husband about lack of privacy in my back yard which stretches across and parallel to the line up of all the neighbor's back yards. Everything I do can be counted by any of them.

When I claimed the desire for a climbing ivies for privacy, bindweed was not among them. Speaking of ivy, the moisture rejuvenated the English Ivy the previous tenant planted. We killed it, stripped it off the house. Now it is in all corners of the house, outside the yard, along all the fence lines. She decorated the inside of the house to match. I cannot WAIT to be able to pull down this gawd awful wall paper with print of English Ivy. Oh, yeah. It was cute, all right. She even had teacups and saucers to match.

Did I mention I hate English Ivy?

I'm not strong enough to whack it all down, either. last month my son and I mowed the entire 1/8th acre because Bill is working. It was the first time I have mowed in about five years. It wasn't enough and not fast enough. I never got to the weed eater.

I appreciate green, but I wish it wasn't invasive stuff.

All this rain and my pecans are still dying. Hopefully, a wet soft winter will revive them so I won't worry about losing the cottage.

• borderokie
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Makes me sad Dawn. You guys are who inspired me to try. Hope your weather improves. I need to be painting my house. Started the back and it got too dad gum hot!! Now mum sales have blown open at the greenhouses so there is no time for a few weeks. Its been really cool in the mornings which I hate. Don't want to go outside till it warms up. But the rest of the day is beautiful. Still need more rain. Guess we'll make do with what we get! The thing I hate about this time of year is I know winters coming.