Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
seeker1122

not garden related

seeker1122
10 years ago

I'm being robbed.
My dad passed August 16th and my cousins from San n tone r up there taking everything.
I need a lawyer real bad.
I'm such a good gal why am I so done bad?

sorry tears and venting

tree

Comments (11)

• slowpoke_gardener
    10 years ago

all energy seeks the path of least resistance, they are doing it because they feel they can get away with it. You maybe the only one that can stop it, but it needs to be done legally.

My folks are old and in bad health and I may be facing the same thing before long. I feel strongly that you are nicer than I am........ I hope there is a will.

• helenh
    10 years ago

Go to the courthouse and find someone in the court who knows what to do. Offspring come before cousins I'm sure.

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    10 years ago

Tree, I am so sorry for you loss.

I agree with the others. Go to the courthouse and get them to tell you what you have to do to protect your interests. Act quickly before it is too late. Don't let your cousins get away with this. Now is not the time to be nice. You may have to be mean just this once.

Dawn

• soonergrandmom
    10 years ago

Call the Sheriff now.

• chickencoupe
    10 years ago

a HUG FOR YOU, TREE.

Change all the locks. And, as grandmom suggested, call the sheriff

perfectly legal to lock up all until after probate

• seeker1122
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I've called the sheriff. I did that the first day.
    they pretty much made fun of me.
    Everything is a boogered up mess.
    tree

• chickencoupe
    10 years ago

Grief is really tough. It feels like losing an arm. It will pass, though. I wish you peace through that phase. And I hope you'll find a decent family of folks as a replacement.

There are lots of truly good people in the world.

• Macmex
    10 years ago

Will be praying for you Tree. Others have given the advice you need.

George

• helenh
    10 years ago

Sometimes a lawyer will listen to your problem first meeting at no charge. Also there may be some legal aide charity things available I really don't know but just because the sheriff laughed doesn't mean there isn't someone else who would help. You might need an advocate to help you express yourself in a way that can help. I don't know the value of the things being taken and maybe it would be hard to get them back. If there is anything left I agree with the above poster for you to get tough. Get a hold of the documents if that is an issue and put them somewhere safe. Sometimes families don't get legal advice and property is in the name of someone else. In that case there is not much that can be done. I am afraid that for small personal items it would be hard to prove your cousins took them. Hide what you can and document what is taken with dates and maybe photos.

• p_mac
    10 years ago

Tree - I went thru something similar a year ago last March. Fragmented families get ALL kinds of messed up. I'm so sorry and I TOTALLY understand your pain. My advice - being someone who went thru it (and lucky me works in the legal field) - CHANGE THE LOCKS TO ANY AND EVERYTHING THEY HAVE ACCESS TO!!! Locks aren't expensive even if it's a hasp & one of those u-shaped locks. Do. It. NOW. You might even find some at a local thrift store. Do you have siblings to help? Yeh, sometimes those are the worst ones, as it was in my case. My half-sister robbed me and my nephews blind before I got it thru my head what she was doing. I had the option of pressing criminal charges - but one has to pick their battles.

It's hard and sad enough that you lost your Dad. I'm really so sorry for your loss. But now it's up to you - sooner rather than later - to honor his contribution to your life and take control of whatever he may have left. Like others said - offspring take precedence over cousins. That be you. Thumb your nose at them and lock it up. PM me after that and I'll try to direct you. Use my name with a dot in between first and last then send it to gmail dot com. Personally, I hired a probate attorney in Bethany and I'd recommend him but you don't HAVE to have one.

Again - I'm so sorry for your pain over loosing your Dad...and the pain of dealing with extended family. Someone very wise once said to me "Death brings out ALL the vultures in your family tree." How true.

Prayers & hugs!

Paula

• MiaOKC
    10 years ago

I'm sorry for your loss, Tree. The double-hit of having family members turn on you during this sad time is really heartbreaking. I'd suggest calling the police in whichever town your dad's home is in (is it San Antonio?) and explain the situation to them to see if they will secure your dad's home until this situation can be resolved. I would also call Legal Aid in OKC, they can help you if you do not have funds to pay a lawyer or direct you to some resources to help you. You may benefit from a lawyer in your dad's home's jurisdiction if it is out of state.