Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
farmgardener

Tomato pinworms

farmgardener
9 years ago

I have pinworms in my tomatoes, AGAIN. I have had problems with them the last couple of years - my garden is small enough that rotating crops simply means I move them over a few rows (20'-50') from original row. Is there something I can do now and over the winter to get rid of them for next year? I know they go into the soil and come back the following year. Has anyone tried burning the garden? Do you think that would make a difference or would they just go deeper into the soil and still return? I clean up all old plant material and I use BT as soon as the tomatoes get even marble size. I know there is a previous thread but need to know about prevention instead of control - I'm desperate. If I can't stop them I will just stop planting tomatoes.

Comments (2)

• slowpoke_gardener
    9 years ago

Farmgardener, I can relate to your problem. The summer of 2012 I had a major problem, it got to where I was having them in almost every tomato. I pulled up my plants and put them on my burn pile. The plants were too green to burn but there was other dry material in the burn pile. I don't know if cooking them helped or not, but I did not notice any of the pin worms last year or this year.

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    9 years ago

Burning the debris is a common control method used to prevent pinworms from overwintering on,in or underneath the plant foliage. So, I certainly would try it.

However, they overwinter just beneath the soil surface, so the second step would be to plow or rototill deeply. Doing that can bury them so deeply in the soil that they do not survive. A third step would be to rototill or plow the garden soil in the winter during very cold weather. Turning the soil over in cold winter can bring many overwintering insects to the surface where the cold winter temperatures then kill them.

Next spring, watch your plants very carefully for the leaf damage that indicates pinworms are present. When you find the first signs of damage, treat all the plants with an insecticide labeled for tomato pinworm control. Many broad-spectrum insecticides probably are labeled for pinworm control.

Sometimes commercial growers use a product like Affirm than contains abamectin once they see a certain level of damage. Normally, home-gardeners never see a level of damage from pinworms that would require the use of one of the big guns like abamectin, but since you have a persistent, ongoing problem with them that has lasted more than one season, you might want to try abamectin next year if they reappear in your garden.

The only other way I know to break that cycle of pinworm infestation is to skip growing tomato plants for a year, or to destroy the plants from the spring planting....burning every single bit of every plant....and then to wait a week or two and plant new plants for fall. Usually, by destroying all the existing plants and leaving nothing for them to survive on for a couple of weeks, you will wipe them out and then the new plantings may be safe from them. However, if there are native plants they can live on growing near you or if someone near you also has an ongoing problem with them, they can quickly find and infest new plantings.

I have only used abamectin as a control for fire ants, so cannot speak from experience about whether it would control tomato pinworms, but it is supposed to. I found it to be very, very effective as a fire ant control.