Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
oklamoni

It's raining in OKC this morning!

OklaMoni
9 years ago

Already did a short dance in the rain... :) I so appreciate it!

Comments (16)

• dbarron
    9 years ago

Fully clothed I presume (at least if you live within the city limits)?

• gmatx zone 6
    9 years ago

Moni - It started raining here late yesterday afternoon, rained all night, and is supposed to rain off and on all day today. Yeah! I think we have received close to 2". I'll do the rain dance later. Am so thankful for the moisture as our pastures are grazed down and brown again.

• Lisa_H OK
    9 years ago

I have about 1.75 inches. I gave in and did some watering last night after the first round completely missed me...NOT complaining though!!

Lisa

• chickencoupe
    9 years ago

Mesonet claims Perkins registers with 1.69" I didn't pop my head outside until about 3pm today. After that the doors and the windows were flung open. Wet and cool !

• OklaMoni
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Gardenweb didn't let my reply through this morning.

Relax, everyone, I was in my PJ's, thus, clothed. :)

Just checked, 1.4 inches! Yipee!

Was gone all day, and didn't have a chance to check earlier.

Moni

• okievegan
    9 years ago

According to my coffee can, nearly four inches!!

• luvncannin
    9 years ago

We got an awesome rain too. I was thankful for the rain and my son got an extra much needed day off.
    Glad y'all got good rains too.
    kim

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    9 years ago

I'm glad so many of you got rain.

I'll link the 2-day rainfall map (so it will pick up the panhandle rain that fell yesterday too). Look how many people got rain!

Guess who hasn't gotten any yet. (grin....y'all knew I'd say that----right?)

Maybe my rain will fall overnight while I am sleeping.

Dawn

Here is a link that might be useful: OK Mesonet 2-day Rainfall Accumulation

• chickencoupe
    9 years ago

I knew it was coming! lolol Every time I pull up the interactive radar I'm so disappointed when I don't see anything in Southern Oklahoma.

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    9 years ago

We had to look long and hard to find a place in OK where we could live as if we were in the center of a doughnut----a dry doughnut, where the hole gets no rain while the rest of the doughnut gets rain, flash floods, etc. (grin) I bet we couldn't find another location like this one if we tried. You'd think we were deliberately trying to find a place that the rain seems to mysteriously miss time after time. This time, though, it was just a matter of timing----the rain just took its own sweet time to make it to us.

It gets old to sit and watch the numbers grow on the rainfall map for everywhere else. I just quit watching after a while because if you think about it for too long, it is depressing. Yesterday I watched it rain to our north, west, and south.......

So, overnight it must have started raining here. Then, it drizzled for hours today. Hours and hours and hours. Slow, steady, at times barely-discernible raindrops. The nice thing was that the clouds and rain-cooled air kept our temperatures down today. I doubt we made it out of the 70s, and if we did, it wasn't for long. So, I watched the radar-indicated rainfall maps on my computer inside the house and wasn't impressed. It showed about 0.3" for us after the rain finally ended. After the rain stopped, I stepped outside and we had gigantic puddles everywhere, so I knew the mere 0,30" was incorrect. I splashed my way through the mud and the muck and the puddles to the back garden to check the rain gauge. From the size of the puddles, I knew we had received at least an inch, no matter what the mesonet's radar-indicated rainfall map said. Well, we got right at 1.3" and later in the day I noticed lots of big puddles in town too, so they got about as much as we did. Hooray!

We needed rain so desperately. The ground was cracking in the back yard and I was going to have to water heavily to stop the cracks from advancing. Hopefully the rain just did that for me.

Unfortunately, y'all know the drill.......on the days we're going to be in the 90s this week as we await the arrival of the next cold front, I bet we will have some awfully high heat index numbers, thanks to all the rain that fell today. Still, I'd rather have rain than not have it.

We also have a great chance of rain later in the week, with at least a 50% chance on one day.

• chickencoupe
    9 years ago

GRREEEAT! Now, for some more!

• Lisa_H OK
    9 years ago

YAY DAWN!!!!! I am glad you finally got some.

• gmatx zone 6
    9 years ago

Glad you finally received some more rain, Dawn!

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    9 years ago

Thanks, y'all. It was quite a shock to have actual rain drops falling from the sky.

I'm still waiting for one of those rainfall days that I call "Lisa days"....where it rains so much that the rain gauge is overflowing. That just never seems to happen here. I'd like to have one of those again some day though.

We still have a few puddles, but most of the rain has soaked in and it is hot and humid, but I'd rather be hot and humid than hot, dry and on fire.

Unfortunately, we have about 10 times as many grasshoppers today as we have had all summer and I'm not sure why they all are here today. It is like they're holding a grasshopper convention. I certainly hope they all aren't planning on laying eggs here. Since it rained, the ground probably is soft enough for them to happily lay eggs everywhere.

More rain is in the forecast for later in the week for most of us. I don't want to be too greedy, but I wouldn't mind at all if it rained again. With winter and spring having been so dry, we need a lot of rainfall this autumn to put good moisture back into the ground and in the creeks, ponds, rivers and lakes.

• luvncannin
    9 years ago

Yay for Dawn I am so excited you got more than .3" and you got a puddle. I hope you took a picture. I usually do but forgot last time.
    kim

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    9 years ago

I didn't take any photos, although I guess I could have because the other day Tim found our camera, which has been missing since around 2003 or 2004. It is a long story, but I have long complained that every time we buy a nice camera, it disappears.

Chris took a really good camera we hadn't had for very long off to college with him and then we never saw it again. Then, we bought another one and either Tim or Chris was constantly taking it to fires to take photos ("for training purposes" they say, but I think they are just fire addicts) and the camera was constantly lost....presumed to be in a fire truck or at the fire station or whatever.....occasionally found, but then it would disappear again for months....or years. So, when Tim triumphantly reported he'd found a camera (I have no idea if this is the original one that Chris took off to college with him or if it is the replacement one) in the pickup truck, I rolled my eyes. The truck is 17 years old and sits parked outside the garage in the elements year-round. I had little expectation that the camera would still work because it had been out there in the truck in the heat and cold, probably for years. He put new batteries in it and said it worked, but I haven't seen any photos taken by it yet.....and I have no idea where it is.

I do have muddy shoes as a "memory" of the rain, which is long gone. The puddles have soaked into the ground and it is hot and humid.

I never think to take photos of anything, usually because I'm trying to compress 48 hours worth of work into every day, and am constantly running behind and trying to catch up. We have a rescue kitten who is about 8 weeks old and the rain scared him. I don't think he'd ever seen rain before. : )