Return to the Oklahoma Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
getting ready for next year, containers.

Posted by slowpoke_gardener 6/7 (My Page) on
Sat, Sep 28, 13 at 10:10

As I get older and more unable to do the things I did the year before, I have decided to try some container growing next year. Here is a picture of one of the types of containers I hope to use. This is the largest type I plan on using, and will drop down to about a 5 gal. bucket size. I will have to start out slow and learn as I go as to what fits where.

Larry

photo 001_zpsd0c46405.jpg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: getting ready for next year, containers.

Hi Larry,

I hope you are recovering well from surgery.

I grow a lot in containers the size of the one you've pictured. There are lots of plants that grow well in them. I think peppers produce even better in containers than in the ground, for example.

The only difference with smaller containers (as long as you aren't trying to grow huge indeterminate tomato plants in them) is that they need to be watered more often. If you set them up with drip irrigation on a timer, they are very low-maintenance. Also, since they are watered more often, the nutrients can leach out more quickly so you may have to fertilize them more often to compensate for that. However, you can have great harvests of many kinds of veggies from containers that size.

Dawn

o

Dawn, thanks, my shoulder is better. I am 24 days out of surgery and can lift my right hand and touch my mouth, but not much more. The Delta reverse joint that I have is a last ditch effort to control pain and still have an arm that will function some. The therapy seems to help, but it is not a lot of fun. I am torn between doing too little and too much.

It will be a learning curve for me to grow anything in a contained, but am ready to learn.

Larry

o

My friend lives in town and he has had lots of yellow sweet banana peppers in a pot on his patio. It isn't that big of a pot and he eats as many peppers as he wants from it. I have some sweet peppers in a pot and they are doing well now. When we had that rain in August they got spots on their leaves and then lost the leaves. I think most gardeners plant more than they need. I know I have too many tomatoes. I think if you only grow what you most like to eat and only enough for yourself that you garden would not have to be very big.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Oklahoma Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here