Return to the Oklahoma Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Seasonal Drought Outlook dated Sept. 6, 2012

Posted by okiedawn Z7 OK (My Page) on
Fri, Sep 7, 12 at 11:47

The lastest U. S. Drought Outlook is linked below.

The good news is that it shows improvement in some areas, albeit in only a limited portion of Oklahoma. However, it is in the part of OK that really needs improving conditions drastically, so that is good. It is great to see that improvement is forecast for such a large portion of Arkansas because their drought conditions have been so brutal this summer.

I'm disappointed. I'd hoped it would show more improvement than it does. Maybe the next one, which will be issued in two weeks, will offer us more hope for more wide-spread improvement in the drought conditions.

Dawn

Here is a link that might be useful: Seasonal Drought Outlook

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Seasonal Drought Outlook dated Sept. 6, 2012

If a weak el nino does develop, doesn't that mean we south-central USAers tend to the warm and the dry during winter? Sigh. At least a weak el nino probably won't cause too much trouble with the harvests in Asia.

o
RE: Seasonal Drought Outlook dated Sept. 6, 2012

Well, often an El Nino pattern bring wet and cool weather to the southern US more or less from Texas eastward toward Florida. I'm at the far south end of OK, so I usually get whatever Texas gets.

It isn't engraved in stone though, because El Nino is only one factor, and many factors combine to give us whatever weather we get. For those of us here in OK, the La Nina weather pattern we've had the last two years has brought us extreme heat and drought. So, at this point, let's hope an El Nino pattern develops and combines with other climatic patterns to give us a wet, cool winter. Some drought relief and heat relief would be nice.

I'd rather see a strong El Nino than a weak one, but any El Nino at all should be good news for us, I think. However, if the El Nino is weak and short-lived we might find 2013 to be about as disappointing, weather-wise as 2011 and 2012. Who needs that?

I am not sure how strong the El Nino has to be in order for us to have a wet winter in the south, and so far it looks like the developing El Nino, if it develops, may be a weak one. I hope that doesn't mean a dry winter for us.

I haven't looked at the El Nino update lately, partly because I am afraid they'll say something like "oops, it's not happening" or something similar.

However, the way that the hurricanes have developed and mostly missed the USA this year seems to be what often occurs when an El Nino is developing, so maybe that is a good sign.

Here is a link that might be useful: Effect of El Nino On USA Weather

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Oklahoma Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here