Return to the Oklahoma Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Strange hummingbird sight

Posted by greenacreslady 7 (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 22, 11 at 12:03

This morning I looked out the window to see something very strange on the hummingbird feeder. When I looked closer, it was a hummer hanging upside down with its beak pointed toward the ground. We wondered if it was dead, so my husband walked outside to check on it, and it suddenly uprighted itself and flew off into one of the nearby trees. We've never seen anything like it and now we're wondering if they sleep hanging upside down.

Suzie

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Strange hummingbird sight

Yes, it is a hibernation-like state called torpor. Cool, huh?

Susan

o

It is cool, Susan! I had no idea they did that, and now I wish I had taken a picture of it hanging there.

Suzie

o

I live in South Central OK, and haven't seen a Hummer in several days, so assuming they have already gone South for Winter. I miss their cheerful little chirping, but know this is normal timing for them. They will be back next Spring.........

Jeanie

o

Jeanie, my RT hummers were still here in OKC as of yesterday. So you may at least see the migrating birds yet.

Their little chittering is a welcome sound, isn't it? Sometimes I know they're there before I see them.

I have never seen the spring migrators. I put out feeders for them, but they bypass me until around July when I start seeing the juveniles that leave the nest, so you're lucky to see them in spring.

Susan

o

Susan,
yes, I leave out a feeder for the migrators til the end of October. Saw one this AM, all by him/her self. Mine start showing up by June, as a rule. I don't have a lot, but around six, or so. When I lived in town in OKC, it was more difficult to get them started. This year, I think they struggled to find natural food, since so much plant material succombed to the heat!

Jeanie

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Oklahoma Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here