Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chickencoupe1

Canopy and Understory Trees

chickencoupe
9 years ago

Planning for spring already ! And of greatest concern is canopy and understory trees. And Dawn posted about her trees. These are perfect because I prefer native. I also prefer things that are edible by us and by the local wildlife. By "wildlife" I'm referring to those inside Cushing city limits and that's quite a bit, possum, occasional raccoon, fox, rabbits, owls, wood peckers, hawks and the other frequented birds. There is a thicket nearby that contributes to the wildlife population and causes favor (and some harm) to my garden. Such a blessing, really!

But I do not have control over that thicket for it is the neighbors (neglected) property just outside our property line. That being the case, I wish to forest the back end of my property which will do all sorts of wonderful things but also provide a windbreak and desired ecological changes.

I have three or four pecan saplings growing now with intent to transplant during dormancy. (I'm not overly concerned of the quality of nuts. The locals have proven they will produce well. Any nut is better than no nut?)

Here's what I don't know:

What trees are best for erosion control along the back side of the property that drops steeply into the neighbor's lot? which has bermuda, johnsongrass and some dock growing. I have completely avoided uprooting any of the dock because I know it has a deep taproot (and the bunnies love it).

Will the canopy and understory be sufficient for erosion control?

I've come to understand I could bomb the effort at erosion control and caution is warranted. I don't know what I'm doing and I'm very anxious about it. So, far here is the plan:

1) dig deep hugelkulture beds at pecan transplant sites four feet offset from the drop-off.
2) Plant alfalfa or another legumous vegetation at transplant site.
3) Transplant seedlings in December.
4) Spring: Plant understory trees accordingly.

Something tells me some type of earthworks or construction needs to happen on the back side of the trees (at the drop off), but I don't know which direction to head.

I would dearly love to have one or two Oklahoma redbuds, but I need fruit-bearing trees. Any helpful comments are appreciated!

bon

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting