Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nated_gw

tomatoes!

nated
10 years ago

After having zero tomatoes in 2012, then stumbling onto this gardenweb, here are the results from everyone's input and my attempt at following directions. i thought three at one time was the best tomato plants would ever be able to produce at one time. Thanks to everyone's inputs and sharing their knowledge.

Comments (12)

• slowpoke_gardener
    10 years ago

nate, those look good. I only have two plants left. I think I will give them a drink and maybe they will produce a few more tomatoes. it is very dry here.

• seeker1122
    10 years ago

Wow I;m so jealous Nate.
    I've gotten lots red pear(don't even know where the plant came from, maybe the spring fling)and only 4 big enough to slice for a burger or sandwich.
    Great job!
    Tree

• seeker1122
    10 years ago

Wow I;m so jealous Nate.
    I've gotten lots red pear(don't even know where the plant came from, maybe the spring fling)and only 4 big enough to slice for a burger or sandwich.
    Great job!
    Tree

• seeker1122
    10 years ago

Wow I;m so jealous Nate.
    Great job!
    Tree

• Macmex
    10 years ago

Beautiful! My Baker Family Heirloom have been producing well, as has Sioux. Every now and then a plant seems to mature a LOT of fruit all at once.

Tree, I have red pear or something like Juliet show up in my seed stock, from time to time. Apparently when I grew Juliet back in 2008 or 2009, it crossed with several varieties, and apparently it is quite dominant. I have one that is growing right smack dab in the middle of my patch of black cherry plants!

George
    Tahlequah, OK

• mulberryknob
    10 years ago

Nate, What variety are those lovelies? I've had Bush Early Girl set on hands about half that full, but never seen anything like that before. Are they as tasty as they are pretty?

• nated
    Original Author
    10 years ago

mulberryknob,
    those are the Champion variety and we've been enjoy them thoroughly in tomato soup. When fall gets here, they will be going on on the grill as well. i can't wait for that part.

• seeker1122
    10 years ago

Don't know why that posted 3 times.
    Maybe that's it George. Cuz I don't have seeds to grow them.

I'll have to try champion next year. Where did you get the seeds from.
    Tresa

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    10 years ago

Nate, I am so happy for you! I know how very hard you planned for this year and then worked to implement every part of your plan, so it is a thrill to know that all your efforts are paying off.

I hope you enjoy every single bite of your tomatoes.

I believe that I remember that you bought and read Dr. Adams' new tomato book? I believe he would be very proud of the crop your plants are producing this year.

We have had a really good tomato year here too, though the production of new fruit ground almost to a halt in August. We're just now starting to get fruit from the new plants that I planted for fall.

Even though there's still plenty of 2013 tomatoes to eat, it is never too early to start thinking ahead to 2014 and which tomatoes will make the 2014 Grow List.

Dawn

• nated
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Seeker,
    The champion tomato plants came from Sunrise Acres over there in the Tuttle area.

Again thanks to all the support and knowledge gleaned from here.

• seeker1122
    10 years ago

Nate thanks for the info.
    Tuttle is only a short drive for me.
    Tree

• elkwc
    10 years ago

Congratulations on your tomato crop. I'm going to post an update on my summer so far in new thread. I will just cover everything in it. Jay