What? Moonflowers are illegal?!

okievegan
11 years ago

I just heard this. Is it true??

Comments (10)

• okievegan
    Original Author
    11 years ago

And saliva too? So, I could go to jail for buying that salvia at a garden center here in Edmond? I could go to jail for having a moonflower plant in my front yard? Seriously???

• OklaMoni
    11 years ago

Who said that???? I see moon flowers all over, when I am out riding my bike.

Mom

• okievegan
    Original Author
    11 years ago

One of my neighbors warned me that I could be in trouble for growing. I've been searching on the Internet and cannot find anything official looking that says they are illegal, but see many "news" articles that claim they are as well a reports from people who say they are. At the same time, I read about people buying the seed at walmart, advice on how to grow them, and lots of accounts of sharing them with others. Very confused.

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    11 years ago

Okievegan and Moni, Most people cannot tell if they are looking at a datura that is a D. metel vs. a D. stramonium vs. a D. inoxia. You have to have studied the flower and leaf shapes to tell them apart. Only D. stramonium is illegal and I believe the seeds sold in stores are D. metel. At least the ones that I purchased were.

Dawn

• cowgirl_kitkatt
    11 years ago

dawn already said what i would of. certain strains/varieties are used to get a high.

• susanlynne48
    11 years ago

This campaign began last year, after the deaths of some teenagers who, at a party, consumed seeds at a party. The guy who brought the seeds was, I believe, prosecuted. It is the seeds that are a hallucinogenic and that appeal to persons who want to get high without knowing the potential dangers of consuming Datura plant parts. I've always known that Datura is a poisonous plant - most gardeners do, and know it by common names such as Jimson Weed, Locoweed, Devil's Tea, and even.....Beelzebub's Twinkie! Now, who in their right mind (except a teenager) would consume this plant.

There are other more toxic plants around than Datura, e.g., Ricinus species (Castor Bean), Aconitum species (Monkshood), Atropa belladonna (Deadly Nightshade), Conium maculata (Poison Hemlock), Oleanders, Azalias, Foxglove. Where will the list of "do not grow" or "illegal to grow" plants end?

Moreover, even the Tomato, Pepper, Potato, and Eggplant are considered poisonous - foliage, stems, roots, etc. Most Solonaceous plants are. I don't know if ingesting them would make a person feel high, but I can't imagine you'd feel like you're in your "right mind" at the very least.

I deadhead my Datura religiously. Mainly because they will self sow prodigiously in my garden if I don't. So there will be no seedpods available anyway.

Susan

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    11 years ago

Susan,

I agree with your comment about where will it end?

Some of the laws strike me as an overreaction. People who want to get high always will find a way no matter what the law says, and it makes innocent gardeners have to worry that they may be growing an illegal plant.

It is silly that we can go to a store and buy breadseed poppy seeds to sprinkle on bread that we bake, or we can buy baked goods with poppy seed sprinkled on them, but it is illegal for us to buy a packet of seed and grow that kind of poppies ourselves. I just hate seeing ornamental flowers and culinary herbs/spices demonized.

Dawn

• OklaMoni
    3 years ago

Sooo good to read Dawn's words!

Moni

• Nancy Waggoner
    3 years ago

YES, Moni!!! I had googled it after Amy's post today--2nd post from top was Dawn. That's how I found you all in the first place, OK Gardenweb and Okiedawn.