Return to the Oklahoma Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Name This Weed Please!

Posted by miraje 7a (My Page) on
Sat, Sep 8, 12 at 15:18

I have a weed spreading aggressively through my lawn that I think was introduced by the Norman city compost I spread on the backyard a few years ago. It grows low to the ground radially from a single taproot and forms clusters of white, spikey seed pods. I took a few pictures of them:

Any thoughts on what it is or how to eradicate it? Thanks!

Heather

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Name This Weed Please!

Round Up to eradicate. I couldn't find your weed. Click to see somewhat larger pictures.

Here is a link that might be useful: not what you are looking for but interesting to me

o

I am finding my weeds but not yours. At least I'm bumping your post. I am still looking.

Here is a link that might be useful: more not what you are looking for

o

It would take a lot of Roundup. It covers most of my backyard and is making its way into the front yard, and we're on 1.5 acres. Thanks for looking, though!

o

Is it that short or has it been mowed. If you have any unmowed taller plants, a picture would help. Can you describe the flowers? You provided a good picture but it is hard to see the small flowers or seeds that look grey or silver colored to me. Are the leaves hairy?

o

Sorry for the delay in responding. It grows along the ground, so the seed heads only end up about six inches above the ground even without mowing. These are in a spot that hasn't been mowed in weeks if not a month. DH mowed the lawn finally yesterday, but I might still have some growing around my garden that I can get a closer picture of. I'll try tomorrow.

o

I have looked through all my books and pictures on line. Have you tried putting a picture on Name that Plant. People on there see identifying plants as a puzzle, but you need a clear picture for them to work with. I can't tell if the leaves are hairy, if the veins are parallel, what the little seed heads look like.

Here is a link that might be useful: look for Name that plant near the bottom

o

I shall name her Jessica... Oh, wait. I've been searching, and found this cool site you might try. I cannot see enough detail in your pic to fill out the questions. Also, there is an extensive catalog of photos on that same site, but again, didn't see what you had or couldn't tell well enough.

As for eradication, I would have MSMA sprayed on it (I don't think they sell homeowners MSMA anymore, I just have some leftover, but I think our yard service still uses it for spot treatment). It has to be warm for it to work, though, mid 80s at least I believe.

Also, when I haven't been able to find a weed before, I will take my bottle of roundup or MSMA and google each of the "weeds controlled" it lists until I can find it. Tedious but usually has worked!

Here is a link that might be useful: Weed Finder

o

It looks a bit like Florida purslane, Richardia scabra, in a weed guide I have. "Summer annual, weak stems, much branched, prostrate, ascending. Leaves opposite, one to three inches, oval, thickened. Tubular, white flowers crowded in leaf axils." Does that sound like it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Oklahoma Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here