Return to the Oklahoma Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Rooting sedum stem cuttings

Posted by Julie717 7a Sapulpa (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 30, 12 at 16:29

Hi everyone--Today at my in-laws house I picked up a broken stem of pink-flowering sedum off their patio so I could root it at home. The stem is dried up at the base and the flower is wilted but it has a bunch of tiny leaflets along the stem with root hairs coming out. I've never rooted these before but it looks easy.

I was just wondering if it would be better to lay the whole stem on the ground/potting mix (less likely to just rot that way?) or cut it into smaller sections? Also, should I root it indoors since it's getting colder, or will it do just as well out in the yard? My MIL the gardener wasn't home, or I would have just asked her while I was there.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Rooting sedum stem cuttings

Julie, I'm assuming you went ahead and rooted them? I just would have cut off the dried part at the base and stuck the stem into soil, indoors or out. In a month or so you should have a rooted cutting. If it is a long branch, you could cut it into multiple pieces. If it is only 3 or 4 inches long, I'd cut off the dried edge and root it whole.

Most sedums root easily from cuttings. You can break off a piece of a branch, stick into the ground a couple of inches, and keep it moist and it will root.

Dawn

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Oklahoma Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here